Correct Radio for each year

Anyone know what kind of radio was stock for each year Beetle? I am looking for the correct stock radio for a 1974 Super Beetle. Was it a Sapphire V? Anyways, it would be nice to have the dashboard area look totally stock and not be a magnet for thieves (by putting in a high-priced, ultramodern system).

Geoffe Elias '74 Super Beetle

Reply to
geoffers

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Or get a nice Becker or Blauplunk from a old Mercedes, Porsche or Audi --- they have better sound than the Saphires plus you get SW/LW etc. Some have external power amplifier so make sure you get all the parts.

Reply to
Wolfgang

There was no "correct radio".

Beetles were manufactured and delivered to the dealers WITHOUT radios. All radios were dealer options and dealer installed, and while some used the same brand and model of radio, others used something else.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thanks! This is a very useful site.

Geoffe Elias

74 Super Beetle

Reply to
geoffers

Oh, that makes sense. That means I have a choice of "historically correct" radios that I can put into my car as Wolfgang suggests. I wonder then, was there a "stock" speaker location that these dealerships would typically mount their speakers?

Geoffe Elias

74 Super Beetle
Reply to
geoffers

Yes. On the dash there's a place for one speaker, on earlier models it was in the middle of the dash, and on later models it was behind the grille, left of the speedometer.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

And for stereo systems ('74), the dealer would chop a hole in each door panel:-(

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim