Correct radio model for a 1970 Ghia???

Can anyone point me to a source listing correct OEM radios for various years of Ghia???

I have a 1970 Ghia coupe in the process of restoration. It currently has an el-crappo Audiovox radio in it (probably circa 1980 or so), and as the car gets closer to being finished I would love to get an original radio for it...

Thanks for any info!

Reply to
Patrick

My 1970 Ghia had a Blaupunkt/Sapphire X11 or X13 IIRC

Reply to
MarcKyle64

AFAIK, no beetles were delivered to the dealers with radio installed. Radios were dealer installed, and must have varied greatly depending on market area. Therefore: there is no such thing as OEM radio. The closest thing to one would be any model or Blaupunkt from the same era.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Hiya Patrick,

You are liable to get all sorts of ideas and comments concerning "correct" radios for a particular VW vehicle year. As Jan has already mentioned almost all cars bound for the USA came with no radio at all. Dealers picked up a few bucks by doing the installation at the point of sale. What you actually had installed depended on the dealer's stock of radios. Usually Sapphires were offered and Blaupunkts were an "upgrade" item. But, if a dealer had not moved all of last year's stock of radios you might get one of those. The Sapphire models most commonly seen in 1970 were the XI (am only) and the XII (am-fm). For more info on actual manufacture by year, point your browser to

Mike

1970 Bus - The Ruptured Duck
Reply to
Bookwus1

Thanks for all your replies! I have a blurry picture of the front seat of the car taken in 1972, and the radio does indeed look like the Sapphire XII pictures I have located on the 'Net.

Reply to
Patrick