Could someone share their experiences with a Type 3 Fastback

I am interested in getting one. What was the last year for carburetor? What was the last year for the fancy override bumpers? Is the car easier to get into the drivers seat than the Beetle. Because the Beetle has the whole "A" pillar in the way of the legs when getting in. On the Type 3 is the Automatic a good transmission or is it plagued with problems like gear hunting and slow shifts? Did the car have better heating? Or was it of the same performance as the Type 1? How much horsepower/how much pick up did it have? What kind of fuel economy could you expect? Is the ride comfortable? For the Fastback, did it have a big trunk or a small trunk space? Did it have a big gas tank or do you have to refuel every 250 miles or less?

Thank You for sharing your Type 3 experiences in the News Group. And Happy Holidays.

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

I had 2 Type 3,s Fastbacks and then 2 Type3 Squarebacks over 20 odd years and some odd T1,s at other times. First fastback was fuel injected, all the rest carbied. In Australia the Fuel injection was only on the Fastback as an option ( TLE =Touring Limousine Express--- yeh). In Aust there was some thought that the Fuel Injection made the engine run too lean and too hot based on increased cylinder head cracking on them. Better comfort and much more luggage space than T1 definitely. Easier access into front though my legs still jam on exit ( 6ft2inches). Only one, my current drive is Automatic. Considering its only 3 speed and 1600cc it still gets up and going along with the general traffic and will sit on 70 mph without too much trouble .The auto is still 100% untouched in 38 years and is getting a little slow to get drive in reverse, occasionally is not sure what to do and seals are on way out but after 38 years !!!!!!!!!. Mileage on this one is about 25 mpg, on a manual carbie about 28 mpg and on a Fuel Injected manual about 33 mpg. The latter T3,s had a step in the rear parcel shelf which allowed suitcases to be stored upright. As far as space goes I took my wife,

3 kids camping with all tents, sleeping bags etc etc without much trouble. I thought and still do they were one of the most functional and at the same time reductionist designs ever made. Cheers John
Reply to
John