couple questions

I've been driving vw's since about 1992. I have been able to do minor repairs and am proud that I have taken my 73 Thing from a non-starting state to a running better than when it wasn't state. Though I've been tooling around with them for a while I don't know all there is to know and even less about some simple things. Such as:

Why are "stroker" engines called that? and What does the 009 mean on a Bosch 009 distributor?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Snyder
009 is part of the model number of those particular distributors.

Strokers are called that because they have an increased stroke. Stroke is the distance the piston travels inside the cylinder. Increasing stroke gives the engine a larger displacement, and is commonly seen in conjunction with larger bore (the diameter of the cylinder)....eg: "stroked & bored".

Greg

1970 beetle
Reply to
greg edmonds

On 4-Jun-2004, Mathew Snyder

Reply to
sracingspam

Hmmmm "stroked & bored" sounds like an evening at my house (and yes, I'm the bored one) !! LOL

Susan

74 Std "Betty"

Reply to
Susan S.

All right, Susan -- down girl.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...got any single sisters? ;-))

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Hell, forget the sister, sounds like Susan needs a valve job.

Mathew

Gary Tateosian wrote:

Reply to
Mathew Snyder

I've always preferred 'Piston Broke' myself.....BG

James

Reply to
Juper Wort