Cracks on my Beetle's IRS CV Boots

1) clean the cv boots with rubbing alcohol and paper towels 2) apply the black rtv sealant to the cracks 3) let dry 24 hours 4) spray the boots with WD-40 after 24 hours and twice a year or every 6,000 miles to help keep them from cracking. He also said not to use Armoral or similar products because that makes them crack. He also said to check for more cracks every once in a while.

I think this might work since the boots are not that old and the cracks do not go all the way through.

--Just trying to be helpful--

Reply to
Jim347a

The thing is: He is trying to be helpful, which he is, the downfall is the fact that these c.v. boots are full of grease/oil(Irs vs. swing). And there is unfortunately no way in the inner sanctu(I am not religious, so help me out with the semantics) of hell, you are going to get the silicone paste stick to your boots(Uh, that was a neat turn of semantics?).

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

=2E..but if I could just get another year of use out of them.

Reply to
Jim347a

Best way to fix it is replace the boots with quality new ones. I really doubt this "fix" will last.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Make a mental note of this...

Auto Zone does not employee mechanics, or in my experience, people with mechanical aptitude.

My guess is you bought the boots there and they were old stock. Buy from someone that deals in VW parts, not accessories for new cars.

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1

I bet your right, either old stock or just poor quality.

Les, I just noticed your "address", any good Spam recipes? I'm actually one of those strange people who likes Spam (the kind in a can of course!).

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

The address is a great way to post on newgroups or emails lists without getting spammed. Someone posted a link to

awhile back and I decided to give it a test. I've been very pleased with the results, and can still receive email thru it. As far as eating the stuff, I'd just as soon print out the email spam and eat it.

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1

It might hold for a while on the OUTside, assuming the cracks aren't all the way through (like he said they weren't).

It's a difficult location for anything to hold, because of the flexing when they turn

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I totally agree. It's just that, after cleaning the boots I found that they were not cracked at all. It was dark down there when I thought I noticed cracks. In fact it was just the different contrasts of color of the greyish color of the dirt and the darker color of the boot between the folds of the boot. It just looked like they were cracked. I will be sure to buy new German boots from John C. at aircooled.net or some other good place when they do crack. I also sort of need new glasses.

Reply to
Jim347a

I totally agree. It's just that, after cleaning the boots I found that they were not cracked at all. It was dark down there when I thought I noticed cracks. In fact it was just the different contrasts of color of the greyish color of the dirt and the darker color of the boot between the folds of the boot. It just looked like they were cracked. I will be sure to buy new German boots from John C. at aircooled.net or some other good place when they do crack. I also sort of need new glasses.

Reply to
Jim347a

Hehe :)

I just bought a pair from here online:

Insanely cheap, and I opted for some extra coatings etc.. still under $18 WITH shipping included. That's nuts. The glasses came with a box and a cleaning tissue. The cheapest glasses were $8 plus shipping, another $5 maybe.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Now, they are realy cheap, unfortunately no international shipping..

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

i bought genuine vw/audi CV boots last couple times i needed boots... they suck... one set lasted 6 months before they cracked...they harden quickly in my experience(i don't drive my vw often) then crack...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Have you got a PayPal account? I need a second pair of cheap glasses to use with my very tight fitting fullface helmet. The Titaniums I have now are impossible to fit with the helmet on.

Later, I need to go for a dump! 8=]

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

I can help you with that. I ship stuff to Finland all the time. I have a pair of chevy rear diff gears in a box in my livingroom right now, ready to ship almost :)

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Yes I do :)

Ahh, happy times :)