Crankcase Breather Hose - exhaust smell

I recently replaced the heater boxes on the Wonderbus in an effort to get rid of the exhaust fumes coming into the passenger cabin with the warm air. I was disappointed to see that the inside of the old heater boxes, inside the hot air on-off flap, were gray and clean-looking. Didn't look like any exhaust was leaking there. At first the new boxes seemed perfect -- there was an initial smell of paint, but that faded away. I do have hot (warm) air. But now the exhaust smell is back, especially noticeable while idling at a light.

Olli Lammi mentioned that he also had exhaust fumes (see thread "Screw Size?") but traced it to a leak and an unconnected crankcase breather tube. When we were replacing the heater boxes we inspected carefully and found no obvious exhaust leaks. But my inspection of the missing cooling tin parts revealed that my crankcase breather tube thing is not connected. This might be part of the problem?

Where might a fellow connect his breather tube if he has dual Kads?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

You could plumb it to the top of one of the air cleaners.   Jim "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote: Where might a fellow connect his breather tube if he has dual Kads?

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott

71 VW Type 2 -- the Wonderbus (AKA the Saunabus in summer)
Reply to
bugfern

As in, fabricate a hole on the top of the air cleaner and stuff a tube into it? Do we have any reason to want to run the crankcase emissions through filtration?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Nope.

Do it like this: http://63.230.74.177/misc/kadrons/MVC-004F.JPG Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Elegant. Attractive. I like it. What kinda hose do we use there, anyway?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Cool. Looks like you are using, uh, Thailand Heater Hose (can't quite read all the lettering).

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

It says Made in the USA right on it..

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Reply to
Ilambert

Yes it does. Whe trying to decipher the first word, 72 dpi low-rez display anti-aliases the first word to look like "Thailand" here. Just joking around.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

It is my understanding from both personal experience and ramva help that the heater system draws air from two areas: 1)heated air from the engine, and 2)fresh air via the vents on the body. The fan draws both in and pushes them into the passenger compartment. When you are sitting at idle the exhaust stays around the car and gets drawn in with the fresh air, so you get a noticeable exhaust smell. I usually turn off the heater at a light. :-)

Randall

Reply to
Randall Post

when all cooling tin is in, the seal that separates top from bottom is good, and the compartment seal is good there is no exhaust that gets sucked into the fan...exception possibly being when reversing or if running with a decklid stand-off

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue