Crankcase pulley surface

Hi All,

I've recently bought a 1964 1200 engine as a longblock, which I'm now trying to rebuild. Disassembly went pretty well, but while cleaning the case I noticed something that bothers me. It looks like the pulley was bent up pretty bad and started atacking my case :-( Here's a picture:

So I'm wondering what to do with it? The case probably needs an alignbore, but isn't this surface used as a guide by the boring tool? Or can this area be align bored itself as well? I'm guessing that boring here could cause problems with oil passing through the increased pulley to case distance, so that does not sound really good...

What are your thoughts on this?

Bas

Reply to
Bas

I don't see a problem? If the pulley opening is too chewed up, you could inatall a sand seal maybe, with a sand seal pulley. Requires improving case ventilation in other ways.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

doesn't look bad in the pic, i would use some steel wool or emory cloth and clean it up.... that part of the case does not get cut during an align bore and if you have to take material off to make you satisfied with the appearance, you may be forced to cut to size and install a "sand seal" with appropriate pulley....this means other modifications to ensure proper crankcase ventilation...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

well I'm not really concerned about the appearance, I read somewhere that a case that is damaged in this area (the grooved are quite deep although pic doesn't show that very well) could not be align bored and should be scrapped. So thats where I panicked ;-)

But if align boring is affected I can have the area repaired and install a sand seal, never thought about that!

Many thanks to both,

Bas (let the cleaning continue ;-)

Reply to
Bas

That is because the El Cheepo align-boring tools index on the pulley opening (and on the oil seal recess on the opposite end). But good shops don't use those cheap, portable align-boring tools.

If you want it done right, pull the head-stays and ship the crankcase to RIMCO or the Pauter brothers... indeed, to virtually any PROFESSIONAL shop.

The odds of getting a good align-bore with a portable tool are directly proportional to the amount of experience the user has as a MACHINIST, which for the typical shade-tree type is virtually nil. The problem isn't with bolting the thing up & turning it on -- any idiot can do that. But the quality of the cut depends upon the shape, sharpness and set of the cutters -- and in that area the typical shade- tree type hasn't any idea in the blue-eyed world what they're doing.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber