Cross shaft question

Fellow air-cooled drivers,

I have a question regarding the cross shaft that holds the throw out bearing. One of the welds broke a few weeks ago and I ended up having it rewelded. This transmission is rebuilt from a shop. They installed an after-market part so I picked up a German one from the local VW shop. Both the German and the aftermarket have 20 mm diameter left ends but the German part has a .7 inch diameter right end and the after market has a .6 diameter right end. I don't understand why the original German cross shaft did not fit in the case. Did the rebuilders use a case other than what I ordered - a 1974 Super Beetle transmission? They are still in business and I called them. The guy told me that they "weld the arms to last forever." I asked him if he could tell me where I could buy the red urethane bushing. He told me that his supplier won't sell to the general public but he can sell me one for $10 plus shipping. I am surprised that he didn't offer to send it to me free after he knows that his weld broke. The weld could have broken on the freeway during rush hour traffic or out in the middle of nowhere.

Thank you

Reply to
warlock

. I am surprised that he didn't offer to send it to me

not "his" weld....not sure about the different dimensions.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Joey,

Thanks for your input. I appreciate the help you have given me. His exact quote was "...we weld them to last forever." I took this to mean that he welded the cross shaft in his shop and I also believe that he machined the right end of the cross shaft because he told me that he has to grind them down. But why would he have to grind the cross shaft at all?

Reply to
azazel scratch

i see...sorry, thought it was a factory cross shaft....(or aftermarket)....the demensions of the cross shaft made a large change after/in the 1973 model year, but not sure why the shaft would be different on the two sides...i have broken several cross shafts over the years with heavy pressure plates, but never broke one that i had welded....you were lucky, when i lost the first cross shaft it was relatively painless....second time it cost me a transaxle, pressureplate, clutch disc, and flywheel....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani