CV Joints 101 - Help Please!

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

Yes

Gott behüte! Certainly not.

Yes; they are made deliberately tight to begin with.

Work a little into the ball races, then pack the outside with most of what remains (that will fill the boot). Save a small amount to pack the open end of the joint. Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim - My procedure is to pack every crack and crevice in the working parts of the joint with all the grease I can get in there, force the joint to work, shifting the parts around and forcing more grease in - as much as will fit within the working parts of the joint. I used to put excess grease in, was led to believe I should fill the boot, but I kept loosing boots. They just came apart after maybe a year (or less) when they had a lot of grease in them. Maybe ten years back I stopped putting any grease in the boots and have only replaced one since. The joints stay nicely lubed and have been hanging in there forever also. When I re-pack, I wipe any grease accumulated inside the boots away. So my question is this, Is it actually proper procedure to fill the boots?

-BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

Yes, your procedure is good and I do that too when reworking old joints. I suppose (never thought about it) that all the grease in contact with the rubber bootie deteriorates it. Bet the aftermarket boots are worse at withstanding it.

Bentley suggests filling the boot; maybe the factory originally did that.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

boots and have only replaced one since.>>

I am glad you replied.

I got four German cv jo> >

Reply to
Sleepy Joe