Cylinder head cover gasket leak?

Hello again. More newbie questions!

Yesterday I removed the left cylinder head cover to take a look and see what's involved with checking the valve clearances. The gasket there seems to have perished quite badly, and now that I have re-fitted it (I had no new spare to replace it with) there seems to be quite a lot of oil dripping down from heat exchanger on that side. This produces a lot of smoke! The drip is constant when the engine is running, although I can't really see where it's coming from.

Is this the symptom of a leaky cylinder head cover gasket, or something harder to get at? Should there be any oil in there? There was a small puddle in the cover when I removed it.

Thanks again.

Leo

PS - Anyone know where I can buy parts in Asturias, Spain?

Reply to
Leo

Leo

The head cover you mention is actually the valve cover. Yes there should be oil in there, as it has to lubricate the valve train, and then is cycled back into the crankcase. The gasket keeps this oil from leaking out. In your case, the gasket has become old and brittle, is cracked or misaligned.

You just need a new set of valve cover gaskets, which should only cost a couple of dollars. Until you get these, make sure you don't run out of oil !

Reply to
bokuglen

It is normal for there to be a great deal of oil inside the cover. When running, oil is pumped thru the pushrods to lubricate and the excess returns via the tubes. Splash oil winds up in the cover and then drains back.

The cork gaskets deform after long use and can't be re-used. There are aftermarket rubber gaskets which may or may not be better.

My best guess is that you do not have a serious problem and that replacing the gasket will solve it.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

The valve covers are almost half way full of oil when the engine is running at higher rpms, the right side especially gets a lot of oil. It comes in through the pushrods, as it lubricates the rocker assembly and valves. Then it collects down at the bottom of the cover, and runs down back into the case via the pushrod tubes. So yes, there is always oil in the covers. You need to get new gaskets. Most auto parts stores should be able to order them for you.

Jan

Reply to
Kidd

Thanks for all the replies. Very reassuring! I have the gaskets on order now. Couldn't find anywhere local that could get them, so the're being sent from the UK. :(

Leo

bokuglen wrote:

Reply to
Leo

Fitted the new gaskets today (cork ones) and the leaking stopped immediately.

Shame. I miss the huge black clouds of smoke following me everywhere....

Cheers.

Leo

Leo wrote:

Reply to