Cylinder Head Heat Deflectors

All,

I am starting to put together the pieces to fix my carb hot-air inlet system, and I found the following at mid-america motorworks

The warm air pipe I understand goes under the tin on the passenger side of the engine and funnels the hot air up to the air cleaner. However, the other two pieces, the 'cylinder head heat deflectors" have me puzzled. Where do these pieces go? I do know for certain that I do not have them. Can they be installed with the engine in the car?

Also, just as an interesting side note...I went looking for a fan belt last night, 1974 super beetle. I checked auto zone, checker auto parts, and napa. None of them carry the belt. I was able to find an import place that had them, but the days of running down to the local FLAPS and picking up parts seems to be coming to an end....

Chris

Reply to
Hal

The left side is #26 here:

right side is not pictured but it attaches to the 2 holes on the right uppertin. It has a cut-out for the hot air tube.

Reply to
Karl

This site might give a better idea of what the part looks like:

and click on "engine coverplates". Is it number 11?

If so, this is where I found mine:

Remco

Reply to
Remco

That's definitely what I see too

That one behind #4 cylinder.The one for the other side is shaped fairly much the same with accomodation for the pre-heat tube and (if I am not mistaken) the oil drain/overflow tube.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB

remco is correct....the deflectors complete the engine tin that guide the air around the outer sides of the cylinders/heads.....without those you can get some hotspots in the cylinders....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

That picture is fantastic, I know that I have two similar holes on the upper cylinder cover on the other side of the engine, so the other 'deflector' plate must fit there. Thanks so much.

Why is it that people leave this stuff off, anyway? ;)

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Someone asked:

The answer depends on which 'people' you're referring to. If you mean shade-tree mechanics, partially disabling the cooling system is a form of job security since it guarantees the engine will not last as long as it could.

But if you mean people who own old VW's and do their own repairs, how they treat their engine's cooling system acts something like a reverse IQ test :-) Ditto for their suspension system. Which isn't all bad. For competent VW mechanics, missing tin-ware and a slammed chassis tells them the owner is an idiot; someone you don't want as a customer.

Post: "Do I REALLY need my thermostat?" and watch what crawls out of the woodwork :-)

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
veeduber

"The answer depends on which 'people' you're referring to. If you mean shade-tree mechanics, partially disabling the cooling system is a form of job security since it guarantees the engine will not last as long as it could. ....For competent VW mechanics, missing tin-ware and a slammed chassis tells them the owner is an idiot; someone you don't want as a customer. "

And this is precisely why I want to track down all the little pieces and put things back the way they shoud be. Based on my own limited experience, every single thing that I've returned to 'stock' configuration on my car has resulted in an old "Beetle" that drives more and more like a real car.

Unfortunately, the information on things like the 'cylinder head heat deflectors' is hard to find if you have never seen the part before. The same things goes for your famous "Hoover bit", which I had to fabricate locally. I looked at Tom Wilson's book tonight to see if he mentions these 'rare' tinware pieces, and the only picture of the lower cylinder tin I could find was on page 140. I was unable to find a picture at all of the 'hoover bit'. And I've been through entire piles of oil coolers at the local wrecking yard and not a single one of those coolers had the bracket on it. Even the bentley manual(the orange one everyone likes to bash on) does not show all of the tinware pieces.

I guess the question begging to be asked is "Where can someone get a complete, detailed picture of the engine cooling system: -all- of the pieces, springs, vanes, and tinware?"

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Probably on the parts microfiche CD, but at 100 USD, it's expensive. In the meantime, the web can be a valuable source of information, if you have the patience to search. Here's a website that has been really helpfulto me lately, lots of pictures of the tin, including various of the hoover bit.

hope it helps, Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

The original designers knew what they were doing, so who am I to add or delete stuff? Since I have no clue, I just follow what the Bentley says.

Reply to
Remco

Thanks for that link. I've spent the time I came in to work until now to surf that site -- very nice!

Reply to
Remco

Curious.

I always set up the thermostat by threading it onto the rod, bolting it into the bracket, slipping the bracket onto the case stud, pulling it down until the flaps just close, and then tighten the case nut. Common sense (and a Bob H. sermon) says this is the way to do it.

While reading a type 1 Clymer manual, I see that they describe a different method;

"1. screw the thermostat onto the connecting rod

  1. Loosen nut securing the thermostat bracket to the crankcase.
  2. Open the control flaps with connecting rod.
  3. Move the thermostat bracket in the slot until the upper end of the thermostat touches the upper part of the bracket. Tighten the bracket nut.
  4. Move the thermostat back and forth to ensure the flaps work.
  5. Install and tighten the bolt securing the thermostat to the bracket."

I'm not sure about this Clymer method and the vague wording. For one thing, in line 3 the spring should have pulled the flaps fully open. If you have to open them manually, there is a binding problem or you're missing the spring.

In line 6, installing the bolt will suck down the thermostat and close the flaps but to what degree? Too little or too much?

Anybody have a Bentley they can check?

RT

Reply to
Raymond T. Lowe

i dunno about autozone and napa but i know for a fact Checker carries it you may just have been to a store that was out of stock... i work for Kragen which checker but in California.. also it may have been due to the company just switching over this past few weeks from Dayco to Good Year belts. =) thats all. i dont know bout the cooling tins. im a nooby

Reply to
69 Buggy

the way the Clymer suggest adjusting it is a way of ensuring that when the thermostat has expanded to the fullest(limited by the bracket) that the control veins are fully open.... adjusting the thermostat/bracket with the veins closed, one can only hope that when the thermostat is fully open that the veins are also....if the tang(metal) on the vein to which the actuating rod attatches is tweaked or bent, the thermostat may well not have enough stroke to open/close fully.... i adjust mine so at full stroke of the thermo the veins are wide open...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Okay this site has some good pictures but one thing is missing from the series, the pipe to the carburetor hot-air system. I went and looked at my super tonight(1974, has the california style dual-preheat tubes to the manifold) and my findings appear below.

The hole in the rear breast tin for the stovepipe is a smaller ID than the holes for the two fresh-air hoses that feed into the heat exchangers. The 'stovepipe', from the pictures I've seen, has one tab for attachment. Where does this tab attach? Does anyone have a photo of the right side of the engine with this piece installed?

Does the pre-heat tube use the same size aluminum foil tube as the heater boxes? Is there supposed to be a seal around the tube where it comes through the rear breast tin, similar to the seals for the fresh air hoses? Is there anything special about the 1974-only california system with regards to the hot-air feed to the carburetor?

Also..and I know this is a longshot. My car is missing the pieces that 'cover' the intake manifold heat pipes. I'm certain that these two pieces are 1974, california-only items. Anyone have a set they want to sell?

I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I drop the money on the parts. Thanks everyone.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Dual pre-heat tubes on the 74's make for some rare items. I never knew about these until a few months back and I've done my share of poking about VW junk yards.

Funny - all those years people have been scrapping engines and the tinware was considered almost junk. It's now becoming one of the most valuable commodities.

RT

Reply to
Raymond T. Lowe