Cylinder head question

I just picked up a set of used dual port cylinder heads that appear to be in excellent condition($35 ea, too much?) I was told that they were off of a fuel injected model of some sort and that it had a temperature sensor spot on it. I see where something like a temp sensor would fit (off to the side & just below the valve cover gasket). I also see a bit of a difference on the flat base part of it where the cylinder jug would go. Other than that I really don't see a difference it them. Oh, only the left side is that way part prefix 311..... the other head has the part prefix 113..... on it. Will I be able to use them on a carbureted 1600 with the 1641cc kit on it?

Thanks, Kris

Reply to
speedbuggy

It is my understanding that you shouldn't mix the two (if there is indeed a ledge in one and not the other). You may be able to compensate with shims?, but I belive the "quench" area is different too. This is where hopefuly one the Guru's on here will chime in!

Post the exact #'s (the rest of what you started to post) if they are still "stock" I have a chart that will tell you what they came from etc.. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

They sound like type 3 FI heads. They would probably be fine as is, but if you'd rather have something made for a beetle, I might have something here that I could trade you. I could use the type 3 heads since that's what I'm into.

Yes, $35 is just a bit high for a pair of used bare heads, but if they're good and OE, it's worth it.

-

Jim Adney

The heads are complete with valves, springs, guides etc. plus valve covers. I went to the local vw dunebuggy shop today and looked at their generic vw beetle heads and it looked the same as mine including the sensor threaded hole. What do you have for trade?

Kris

Reply to
speedbuggy

Humm - My Clymer VW Performance Tuning book says the 113 heads are single port heads and the 311 are dual port heads. Did you think to look? I would use a matched pair - unless you confirm compression ratio/capacity and valve size.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I went to the VW Nats here in NZ this Easter weekend. There were Brand new complete dual port heads for NZ$200, normally thats about US$100, but US$125 at the moment. Normally, NZ$350 was normal!

Allan :-)

Reply to
Allan Williams

Reply to
ilambert

You can't tell much from the number that's cast in there. That's just the casting number and VW could have machined several different heads from the same castings. The actual finished head part numbers are different.

-

Jim Adney

I'll have to check thru my stash to see if I have something suitable for a beetle. Do these heads have the step around the rim of the combustion chamber? Do they have holes in the top side of the rocker box for a vent hose?

What year is your beetle?

Do you understand that using oversize drop-in pistons and cylinders will probably give you results worse than stock, because the cylinder wall is thinner and will tend to warp? Most people get very short lifetimes out of these. They should be avoided.

-

Jim Adney

Yeah... and the intake charge swirls the other way too :-)

Reply to
Allan Williams