Cylinder heads

I'm building my first performance VW engine, a 1776, new case, cast

69mm flyweighted balanced crank, reconditioned VW rods, Engle 110 cam, I won't bore you with the rest. My real question is that I ordered CB 044 heads 40mm x 35.5mm ss valves w/ single springs, and recieved Empi part #98-1361-B, they appear to be of the same specs, did I get a good alternative or should I return them? Also what do I use for marking compound in which to leave an imprint so I can port match the manifolds? Thanks for any help.
Reply to
Volksrod70

sounds like Bait and Switch to me

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Did you order them from CB directly? If so, they would have sent you thier 044 heads, *NOT* EMPI ones...there is a difference.

Reply to
Kaferdave

I already thought of the old "Bait & Switch" gig, but I don't have any real proof of this head being less than the 044. Anyone know the real facts??

Reply to
Volksrod70

an "044 head" will have "044" cast into the head in the valvecover area under the valves and springs. If it does not say "044" it is not an 044 casting head, which is what you say they said it was. I'd have an issue with that if I was in your shoes.

now if they said it was a "big valve head" but did not specify the casting, then they appear to have done nothing wrong. You know what they said or not, so the ball is in your court.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

"less" than or equal to does not matter...if you ordered 044's and got something else you seem to be the victim of the bait and switch....as far as the performance of the head vs. the 044 i can't comment...

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

CB performance took my order and then when I called a week later looking for my order they told me it would be at least three weeks to get them out of customs, as they where out of stock, so I odered them from a shop in California. Now I ordered the $200.00 CB 044's, not the high end ones, and looking up the Empi part number it lists for about $214.00, not that I think price equels quality though it does seem to put them both in the same class. So given that information, do I really have a performance or quality issue?

Reply to
Volksrod70

so I odered them from a shop in California.

So you did not, in fact, order them from CB Performance, in Farmersville, CA. I agree with John, if the "shop in California" said they were 044 heads, and what was sent to you did not have 044 embossed in the rocker arm box area underneath where the rocker arms and shafts reside, then what they said they had, was not what you got.

Reply to
Kaferdave

A real CB 044 looks like this:

http://66.225.214.60/ghia/MVC-429F.JPG Max

Reply to
Max Welton

After all, it was a phone order so I don't have proof of who said what. So I figure why complain if this is an equel cylinder head, and that's the real question I have for all of you.

Reply to
Volksrod70

it is not even close

return them, get you $ back, and get the heads you wanted in the first place.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Hey Max,

What info does the gauge give you? I can barely make out the word CYLINDER. What is the word underneath that? What do the red, green, etc. arcs tell you?

Randall

Reply to
Randall Post

that is a leakdown tester....to check the condition of the rings and valves...

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

... and the cylinder to head interface.

Better pic of the guage: http://66.225.214.60/ghia/MVC-430F.JPG Max