Dakota Digital CHT gauge......

..........I got it installed late yesterday afternoon on my Berg 1679 and took off with my Fluke IR handheld gauge to see what I could find out about its accuracy. I set the DD's upper limit at 430 deg F which is merely a preset where the display starts flashing and then proceeded to drive at 80 mph towards Elmira on the local expressway here to see if I could get up to

430 before pulling over and using the Fluke to see the discrepancy between the two gauges. It wouldn't reach 430 deg at 80 mph even after about ten miles sustained! So of course, being a natural born lead foot, I gradually opened it up to 85-90 and after another few miles it finally reached 430 (ambient temp was about 55 deg). I then killed the ignition and pulled over on the shoulder and immediately turned the ignition key back on so that the gauge on the dash could be seen while I was pointing my IR gauge down the #3 opening in the cylinder tin after pulling off the ignition lead from the distributor. The result? At 394 degrees indicated on the IR gauge, the Dakota Digital gauge was indicating 390. This is plenty close enough for me. As I continued to monitor the two gauges as the engine gradually cooled down for a few more minutes, The difference between them was never more than about eight or nine degrees as the temp dropped down to about 275.

............I'm happy with this device and feel that it's a good upgrade over the VDO unit.

BTW...........I've never been able to drive at 80 mph for ten miles in the past because the VDO would go over 450 deg and I didn't have the nerve to ignore it and keep going at that speed. Maybe that's why I haven't had a speeding ticket in the past few years............lol

Reply to
Tim Rogers

"Tim Rogers" wrote in message news:yOs0g.1921$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

Well that's pretty neat. Now here's the link for a selector switch so you can select any of the 4.

was working on a LCD screen display for all his gauges and wasdeveloping an auto-scroll type display for his CHT sensors so that it woulddisplay one and then the next, etcetera, automatically. I don't know if heever got that far with it.Did you get the long thermocouple sensor? How long? I remember now the progression of my mixture gauges: 1st was oxygen sensor after the headers and before the muffler. I had to use a three wire unit here as the single wire almost never got hot enough to function. Next I welded a bung on the leading part of the headers on #3 tube. It worked much better but was still inconsistent. I think if I had been using an inch-and-a-half muffler pipe it might have stayed hot enough, but I had two-and-a-half all the way out. Finally, the last engine: I took a pretty much perfect left-side heat exchanger (for a '79 bus - rare!) and welded a bung on the head pipe about two inches from the exhaust port. This one worked all the time and did not have the up-and-down tendencies of all the other hookups. I expect doing this will solve your mixture reading problems - it sure did for me. I bought a piece of RC car exhaust silicone tubing to route the wire through so it wouldn't get the insulation burned off and short out. I also pop-rivetted a sheetmetal channel onto the bottom tin that acted to guide the silicone tubing in the proper position.

I intend to post some pics of that soon. Presently I can't find that series of pics. I may need to go over to the neighbor I gave all that stuff to and see if I can do a photo shoot! I also ran across my pics of installing new injectors and the extra steps I took. Important note here is, when you slide the big retainer doughnuts on the injectors, be sure to do it the hard way, sliding them into place. Don't be tempted to take the shortcut and roll them on! It really simplifies the job, but the doughnut might end up inside-out in which case the rounded shoulders will be against the ridge on the injector that they need to bear against. That rounded shoulder will allow the injector to slide right outa there!

Look also at the head surface where the stud that the retainer fits onto resides. Look carefully to see if the retainer is bottomed out flat against that flat surface. If it is, it may not be exerting any retaining pressure on the injector's big doughnut. I removed each of those studs and filed the surface down until I could see a space between the metal retainer clip and the head surface, that way I knew the injector was being held in snugly. I'll try to get these posted really soon. -BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

...............This is valuable information Dave. I'm looking forward to seeing those pics.

Reply to
Tim Rogers