Decklid Quick-Release Hinge Pins

Deck Lid - Quick-Release Hinge Pins

Hi! My Empi brand Decklid Quick-Release Hinge Pins came today from Cip1.

Can someone please give me some simple instructions on how to install them?

Is it better to install them with the deck lid installed or removed?

I was going to spray some penetrating oil on them first.

Then gently tap them out enough to get a small pair of vice grips on the end.

Then hit the vice grips with a hammer to drive out the pin.

Is it best to sand the new quick release pins a little to make them a smaller diameter so they will fit in easier?

Any help is appreciated! JP 73vwbeetle

Reply to
Loosenutbehindthewheel

I found the instructions in the package under the pins.

First spray the hinges with penetrating oil.

Let soak overnight.

Remove the decklid.

Put it on top of an old blanket or something soft so it won't get scratched.

Gently tap out the pin with a drift from the inside.

Rhe pin does not have to come all the way out.

Remove the hinge.

Clamp a pair of vice grips on the pin and pull it out.

Drill oout the hinge holes with a 1/4 inch drill bit.

I guess that's about 6.25mm diameter.

Replace the hinge on the deck lid with the quick release pin.

Do the same with the other hinge.

Replace the deck lid.

Now when you need to remove the deck lid you just have to disconnect the tag light wire, remove the spring, and remove the quick release pins. Hope this helps!

73 vw beetle
Reply to
Loosenutbehindthewheel