defroster vents / autostick ?

Can anyone tell me on a 1975 Super Beatle is the defroster vents one piece or two piece ? One piece comes up from the bottom of the dash and another piece inserts into it from the top side of the dash board ? What year was the autostick introduced and was it only advailable on the Super Beatles ? Thankyou LeRoy Prosic S.W. Ontario Can..

Reply to
LeRoy Prosic

I'm sure I may be wrong, and someone may correct me with an odd or across seas version of this vehicle.. but most likely the first Autostick was 1968, thus also proving it was not just specific to Super Beetles. I had a 71 Super Beetle Autostick, and believe that was the first year for Super's. Mine was the only year Super with a flat window. Again, I may be wrong. I don't know about the dash, My 71 had a dash pad, and looked like the vents just clipped in. I no longer have it to verify. I got a 73 Super Beetle Autostick, will check later tonight and let you know about the vents if I can.

Reply to
Andrew

Reply to
LeRoy Prosic

The first autostick was, indeed, 1968 model. The manual shift 68's retained the swingaxle box, so the autostick cars were a very special breed in having a complete IRS setup.

Apparently Supers appeared outside the US in '70. The flat screen model ran thru the '72 model year and '73 began the curved screen.

I can't think of any reason the defrost would be different on an autostick. But '75 (like '73/74) had a big blower mounted behind the dash.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Sorry.

'73 and later had a huge sealed compartment for the blower. From that plenum, plastic flap controls at each side direct the air flow. So, I would guess you could say there two pieces. It is completely different from the earlier Type 1 fresh air setup.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

OK Found what I had been looking for:

on:

72-10 - Heater and Fresh Air Flap Cables, Fresh Air Controls

That shows exploded view of the later vent system and blower/plenum.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim for your reply and the site . The illustration of the defroster vents in the site you sent dose not show exactly what i,m looking for . I will try to reword my question .......... The vents come up from under the dash and protrudes through venting the air onto the windshield . Is there a formed "retaining" piece that goes into these protruding vents from the top of the dash ? Hope this helps ?

Reply to
LeRoy Prosic

Join this forum:

on there is devoted to Supers.There is also a lot of tech info on the site and photo galleries;maybe some help there. Jim

LeRoy Prosic wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Jim