Degrees of blindness

I am surprised by how things I never noticed suddenly become obvious. Here I am, wondering where the evap line on my 71 Wonderbus is. Thinking the PO had removed it, along with the old charcoal canister. So I've been studying drawings and manuals, getting a grip on how the stock oil bath air cleaner gets connected. Today I got the cleaner's pedestal restored and go to mount the cleaner. And . . . say! Lookie there: the canister is still there! With an obvious hard line running to it from the fuel tank. Was there all along. Unless someone sneaked over and tacked it in last night. I'd like to believe that, but I suspect it was simply Male Pattern Blindness.

Anyone know where to find new old stock activated charcoal filters for the 71 bus? Might as well hook up the evap emissions control system.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Or know where to drill a hole in the old canister to empty it and refill it with activated charcoal pellets?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...............You're on your own on opening and reclosing the cannister but you can get milk carton sized quantities of activated charcoal at a tropical fish store.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

AND you can get activated charcoal carton sized quantities of milk at a grocery store!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Me thinks The Squirrel has been takin' Shaggies Signature literally too.................LOL

You And Gareth...............What brand of whiskey is that anyways?

I think I'll have to go to the store again tommorrow.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Not sure about busses, but the other VW cars had TWO cannisters. One was just a steel gasoline overflow tank with an inlet and an outlet, both small.

The actual charcoal cannister has 3 ports. Two large ones and one small one. The ones I've seen are plastic and have an end which you can pry off and get to the charcoal grandules.

For most of these systems, the big problem is the steel tubing which carries the fumes. It rusts inside and gets completely clogged up. Check yours, you may need to replace it. You need it to work, if only to admit air as gas gets used up out of the tank.

At least on type 3s, SOME of those steel lines got replaced by plastic lines after a couple of years. Those are much better because they never rust, but there were still more feet of steel in the system than of plastic.

-

Thanks for the heads-up re checking for clogged fuel tank vent pipe. I'll take a look down mine today using a lit match to provide illumination. Just kidding.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott

71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)" KG6RCR
Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...if that doesn't work....well, as suggested on the steering thread....try poking around in the tube with a pencil... =-)

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Sheesh. You f*ck one sheep . . . .