Did VW make a 120mph or higher speedo?

`73 Super with a 2270cc big ass TIV motor. With the gearing as is, I should be able to top out around 125. I'd feel safer if I could see just how fast. The stock speedo goes to 85.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

I think your speedo should read up to 100 mph, I just replaced one in a 73 super and every one I have goes to 100mph. I don't think VW made a speedo that read higher for the beetles, they did for the ghias thou. You are going to have o go aftermarket for anything higher then 100mph.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

David, About 115MPH in a beetle you will be close to hitting the aerodynamic wall where you don't have enough HP to break through it. This is due to the frontal area of a beetle's shape. The gearing may take you to

125, but even withj my engine you may not have the HP to pull that gear past 115 unless you make the car a tad more aerodynamic.

I have hit the wall in my 66 at about 125 with a 185BHP engine and the same gearing as you have. It was scary!

Reply to
Jake Raby

Just calibrate the speed using a tachometer.

Reply to
Robert

Just calibrate the speed using a tachometer.

Reply to
Robert

There is simply no need to go that fast anyway, unless you are racing on a track. Autocross courses are generally too small to allow you to attain such speeds. For track racing that reaches speeds over 120-30 MPH, I guess a front air dam (a good one), good lowering job, aerodynamic headlights, doorhandles (lack thereof), fenders and maybe some sort side skirts might get you to 140 MPH. But holy cow, I would never want to go that fast anyway!

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Hehehe... My mate Darron has 240hp in his super beetle - it'll do 145 on the track :-) hehehe. He has a 911 5 spd 'box now.. dunno if that will make a difference :-) heehehe

You need some aero dynamic help at spped in a beetle too - they're shaper surprisingly similar to a plane wind :-)

Allan :-)

Reply to
Allan Williams

A 3" front drop and adding an airdam is in the plan :) What's freaky is the way the steering gets easier as you go faster.. aka, the front is lifting.

I took it to what I thought was 100, by the tach and time it took for the speedo to come off the stop after letting off.

That's one hell of a motor you made for me!

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Like redo the silkscreen then gear it down (or whatever the method is). There's this speedo shop in Hayward I should drop by and ask them what they think.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

And that's where I shift into fourth!

Reply to
David Gravereaux

David,

Im interested what spec is your engine ? and what does TIV stand for ? What is MPG like ? (under 15mpg ?)

I have a 1776cc (just under 80bhp at the wheels) on a 1200 gearbox and that goes off the clock, screams thou :-)

John

Reply to
John Skeldon

Type-4, 159ft/lbs @ 3500rpm, 156hp @ 6500rpm Built by Jake Raby:

MPG is unknown. Around 16 at first, but isn't dialed-in yet. Since changing the throttle arm geometry, I hope this improves MPG now that all starts don't have to be jack-rabbit ones. I haven't messed around with the distributor at all yet.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

If you drive a stock Bug over 100mph you are just plain out of your friggin mind. The aerodynamics make it a candidate for a turn-over. Run a big-ass wing.

Reply to
jjs

Yer crazy.

Reply to
jjs

SO WHAT? Yer here bragging and making yourself look stupid.

Reply to
jjs

Have you no clue as to what aerodynamics is all about?

Reply to
jjs

Uh oh. I hope he doesn't notice my comments in the other thread about my Civic smoking an Accord or he'll be all over me like stink on shit, like white on rice, like ........

Reply to
Shaggie

Nothin's wrong with braggin'. I got rights with a car to prove it. You don't know what a controlled power slide is until you do it with a quaife..

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Without sandbags, it's scary as, yes, the steering gets "looser" as you go faster. With 160lbs in the front, she's nice and stable. Is that a wing off the decklid, or do you mean a spoiler? Yes, I do need a spoiler. The kamai one seems to be the nicest choice.

Reply to
David Gravereaux