different gear shift rod length?

Hi,

does anyone happen to know if VW used different lengths for rod that runs from the gear shift to the transmission (in the center tunnel)?

I have heard from several people who say that VW used different sizes (length) for the beetles produced from 1968 to 2003.

One guy said that the length was the same for models produced from

68-72 and that the part number was 113 711 155.

This might explain why I keep on having problems shifting into the right gear. I have a 2003 beetle on a 71 platform.

Thanks for any help,

Marco

Reply to
Marco

They did use different lengths and I think your guy is right. In '73 the new seats were introduced and the shift lever was moved. I'd be surprised though if someone went to all the trouble of substituting a shift rod when they built up the car. IOW, look for other problems first.

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

if the entire chassis is 71, then the shift rod should be too....so unless they placed the 2003 shiftrod(not likely) in the early pan, this won't be your problem...

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

My entire chassis is a restored 71 one. I have seen pictures how this company restored the chassis and from what I remember all moveable parts were removed. I don't remember seeing a stick shift. So I assume that the shift rod was also removed. It looks fairly new to me when I looked at it the other day.

It might sound stupid, but I am almost afraid that those guys put a

2003 shift rod into a 71 tunnel. Would not surprise me.

My assumption is also confirmed by the fact that someone else had the same problem with a car that he bought from the this company. He was able to move the coupler and put it forward on the shift rod and now his shifting problems are solved.

I think I might be on to something. It may also be combined with the fact the the shifter was not installed/adjusted correctly. As I just found out, it has to be installed in 2nd gear and with an angle of 11 degrees and then you have to move the adjuster plate into the right position before you tighten the screws.

When I removed the shifter last weekend and put it back on (at that time I didn't know about the 2nd gear and 11 degrees thing), I guess I must have made something right. Whereas I was not able to put it into any gear, I can now put it into 2nd gear and neutral. I will check it again this weekend and maybe get closer to a resolution.

If you think the reason for my shifting problems could be somehting else, please let me know.

Thanks,

Marco

Reply to
Marco

I don't think it is possible to fit a late rod to an earlier chassis and have it all line up so that the gear lever could be installed. The problem must lie in the lever adjustment.

Reply to
Peter