disc brake q.

what are those thin springy inserts between the piston and the brake pads? What do they do? Noise? can they be left out?

Reply to
A Veteran

noise (vibration)reduction. You can leave them out, but risk of noisy brakes increases. Functionally, no difference. You can fight noise by cleaning all surfaces that have a potential for minute metal-to-metal movement, then coating them with high temp copper paste. Keep paste off of friction linings and rotor. NEVER lube slide pins with it, use only brake grease for slide pins. (Some calipers don't have them). Use brake grease or brake fluid to lube piston seals too.

Non-brake parts approved grease may cause rubber parts to swell or deteriorate - bad, bad, bad.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

A brake mechanic mentioned to me that if you lose the "inserts" ( couldn,t get them for a while in Australia) put a very thin layer of silicon adhesive on back of brake pad before inserting into caliper. Let it "set" and off you go.Worked in my case,doesnt seem to affect brakes in any way. Heat doesnt seem to bother it. Cheers John

Reply to
John