Disk brakes rubbing

Yesterday I changed a brake light switch and noticed that the pads on the left side don't seem to be releasing enough to stop the pads rubbing on the disc slightly. The wheel on the right side goes round freely but there is definitely rubbing on the left. I understand that these are self adjusting so what can I do?

Looking at some old topics there were comments about the brake hoses swelling up inside - could this be the problem? If I do replace the hoses, what type should I go for?

Also what brake fluid should I use to top up the system as I don't know what is in there at the moment?

Thanks for any advice

Will

Reply to
will

Make them move more freely. Remove pads, put a thin piece of wood in their place that is thinner than the pads, then pump the pedal to make the pistons come out a little further than they used to. Just a little. Then push the piston back in, further in than it was when you started. Repeat this 5-10 times.

That is certainly a possibility. Swollen lines let fluid in to the caliper whan you press the pedal, but wont let it back out because the return pressure is so weak.(virtually none, in disc brakes). To check if you have a bad hose: Pump the brake pedal hard a couple of times, then go open the bleeder screw on the suspect caliper. if fluid shoots out under pressure from the bleeder screw, then it's an indication that something is preventing it from returning to the master cylinder. usually a bad hose is the culprit.

Any brand, as long as it is one of the following TYPES:

DOT3 DOT 3&4 DOT 4

Do NOT use DOT 5 or higher. That's for modern cars that use different metals in the system, it's not compatible with the smaller number fluids.

Jan

Reply to
Kidd

Go for the stainless steel covered replacement lines - they provide more stopping pressure. Top up? -- I'd flush the entire system and replace with new DOT 3 approved (use a fresh can not one from shelf that has been opened).

Reply to
Wolfgang