Do I need the Thermostat?

I have read about a million times that I should NOT remove the thermostats in the carb or the cooling system. However, almost every mechanic I've spoken to, say that with the climate we have in the Dominican Republic (between 26 and 34 C, very high humidity all year long) there is no need for them. I trust you guys more than any mechanic or book. What are your opinions regarding this? Can someone safely remove the thermostats? is it wise?

TIA, Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

"Karls Vladimir Peña" wrote in news:c6ui27$giarv$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-209996.news.uni-berlin.de:

Oh? *rubs hands together evilly* :-)

What are your opinions regarding this? Can someone

Reply to
Shaggie

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:56:33 -0400, "Karls Vladimir Peña" scribbled this interesting note:

Read up on the subject:

There is plenty in this one search to satisfy your question.

John Willis

Karls, in your hot climate, the thermostat will be OPEN most of the time (Once the engine has warmed up), and thus NOT giving you any TROUBLE. There is nothing WRONG with keeping the thermostat in place. Once the engine reaches the set temperature, the thermostat will allow MAXIMUM cooling. It would be exactly the same as forcing the flaps (which you also need) fully open. (Even in the open position they still perform an important task of directing air where it is needed most)

Furthermore, there is no BENEFIT in taking the thermostat out. You won't win anything. You only lose.

When you start the engine, even on the hottest days, it will be COLD when talkinmg about normal operating temperatures of the engine. (Not you). Cold engine wears FAST, doesn't run right, and consumes more gasoline. Even more important, the #1 issue with aircooled VW's is thermal expansion between parts that are made of different metals. The engine is very carefully deisgned to warm up evently, and at a certain rate. Removing the thermostat and "jamming" the flaps fully open, means the engine will not be allowed to warm up in the proper sequence, and at the proper rate. You will end up with oil leaks and head damage, bolts coming loose etc... over a longer period of time. Sure, none of this is evident during the first couple of thousand miles. (Except crappy running until it has warmed up). So it would SEEM to run okay.

You need the thermostat, and the flaps, no matter what climate you live in. If you care about your engine and wish to spend *less* time messing with it in the future.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I agree with Jan as far as "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". However, if it were mine.....never mind.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Hi I have put many hours into thermos and in your climate you can remove it. But make sure you wire the flaps open. The flaps are still needed to direct the air to the correct areas on the engine. I designed the Cali-style T-4 fanhousing and it uses a thermo. Joe Cali

Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

I wouldn't -remove- it, that is, if it operates properly. If it's not opening the flaps fully after no more then 30 minutes of driving, and it's adjusted properly, ditch it. Otherwise, wait till it breaks and then ditch it. :-P Make a habit of checking its operation when you check your oil level at every fill up.

-Matt

Reply to
matthew j henschel

Why not...uhm...I don't know......replace it? :-)

Hey, If you're gonna ditch it, why not ditch it right now?? I'm sure the engineers at volkswagen put it in there because they hadn't met the sellers price of the car they were going for....

Just kidding..... ;-)

But, you need the thing, as explained many many times in this newsgroup.

Greetings, Gerrelt.

Reply to
Gerrelt

Where can you get replacement vanes and etc. that are supposed to be in the fan shroud?

Reply to
C7eca

Junk yard. They aren't made anywhere.

Jan