Do I need this on a fuel injected super beetle?

I have a 1977 fuel injected super beetle. We are going to finally get the engine back in the car, but I really need to know if I need this pipe on a fuel injected car, I think it is called a heat stove. On the back tin there is a metal pipe that is cut strange on one end and attaches to the tin and the bolt on the exhaust pipe to cylinder head flange on the right side. If I have to have it, what is it for? What does it connect to? It looks like it would dump hot air into the engine compartment. Would it only be needed on a carb?. I need help fast. Thanks

Reply to
lynepie

On 17 Jan 2004 21:25:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com ran around screaming and yelling:

not sure on the FI cars, but that stovepipe is connected to the air cleaner on carbed cars to supply warm air to the engine during cold weather...it is about a 2" hose that connects it...look for an empty spot on the aircleaner that would accept the hose...should have some type of regulated "flap" at the inlet to turn it "on" and "off" J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

...............I don't understand your description very clearly. On the right side, there's a duct that carries heat from below the tin to a thermostatically controlled flap in a box that regulates the air temperature prior to reaching the air filter. (cold engine gets warm air-warm engine gets cold air). If you really meant to say the 'left' side, then you're probably looking at the EGR valve (either with an electro-vacuum switch or a mechanical linkage to the throttle) and the pipe that supplies it with exhaust from a flanged pipe that's welded near the inlet of the muffler. If you have emissions testing, you're stuck with this device and will need to get the orange Bentley manual inorder to get it hooked up and working. If you don't have emissions testing, remove the pipe and fashion block-off plates for the valve and the muffler. All it really does is make your engine run too lean and too hot in exchange for only a marginal reduction in emissions at partial throttle and shuts off at idle and wide open throttle.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

FI doesn't use heated air from the "stove". Block the opening off so the hot air can't get in. It makes me think that the rear tin is not original to the car.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

................Hey Jim. I thought that he might be referring to no. 24 in this drawing of an L-Jetronic induction system.

http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=

Tim Rogers

http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=

%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN Oh, Oh! Good job Tim. I don't remember that control valve on the air cleaner intake but it must be there...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

............Here's a shorter link to the same drawing.

Tim Rogers

................Also, if the original post was actually referring to the EGR system, the parts that I suggested discarding are items 5, 2 & 6 in this drawing. Of course, if there's going to be an emissions equipment check where he lives, it should be left in place.

Tim Rogers

Which sectionare we talking about Tim?

The EGR stuff is section 21 on that page you are referring to............somehow the link doesn't consider which section at all.

In which case the Ljetronics FI system EGR parts are a bunch more than

3 pieces too.

I think that is what the original post was referring to, but am not sure, because of the description.............left or right side not mentioned.

Go to Tim's suggested link there and scroll down to section 21 and see if any of that stuff makes sense............

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

................I recommend leaving the rest of the EGR stuff in place after removing the pipe and installing two block off plates. It won't do any harm like that and is easier to hook back up again that way if it ever becomes necessary in the future.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Isn't it irritating when you go to all the effort to try to help somebody and it's like they posted the message and fell off the face of the Earth! A couple more simple hints and this baby would've been wrapped up in about an hour!

message

bunch more than

but am not

right side not

section 21 and see

stuff in place after

won't do any harm

it ever becomes

Reply to
Busahaulic

Sorry I didn't get back in to answer everyone. Came in at lunch and there were only 2 answers. It is the heat stove pipe on the right side of the engine. We left it off. Took us a while to get the engine back in. Still have to hook up all the wires and find a good place to put the oil filter. We are not hooking up the egr and all that. Have enough trouble with those in my golf. I do think that this is not the tin that belongs on this car. Will have to do some work on that.

Reply to
lynepie