Do OPTIMA batteries fit in VWs?

Type 1 size group is "42", I think, but Optima doesn't have one in that size. We mount the battery from the bottom, too.

David Gravereaux

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:50:50 -0700, David Gravereaux scribbled this interesting note:

I don't know about 12 volt batteries, but the six volt Optima fits quite nicely when installed on its side. Has just about exactly the same foot print as a standard six volt battery when in that orientation.

John Willis

John, so because of their designs they don't leak? Course, with the posts the way they would be one would have to protect the terminals so it wouldn't short, right?

Reply to
KWW

Reply to
Ben Boyle

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:11:02 GMT, "KWW" scribbled this interesting note:

They don't leak. Period. And yes, I did put a cover over the posts!:~)

John Willis

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:11:02 GMT, "KWW" scribbled this interesting note:

As a side note I advised a friend of mine to buy an Optima battery when the battery in his car died. This was some time ago, probably more than a year, possibly a much as almost two years. A few months ago he blew up the engine in that car. It sat for some time before repairs were finished. A couple of weeks ago the battery was drained by some idiots at the paint shop where he was having it painted. His Dad is an old school kind of guy and told him he would have to buy a new battery since he knew that once a battery is drained flat it will never hold a charge like it used to. My fried just shook his head at his father and told him no, he didn't need a new battery. Just charge up that Optima battery and it would be fine. So they connected the charger for a while and it is fine. It continues to work perfectly. Much to his Dad's astonishment!

John Willis

OH one of those batteries....... it didnt click at first... but i do have one in my wifes van... the yellow one. bought it about 2.5 years ago and NEVER had a problem with it... when i bought it the guy tried to sell me one for my beetle also, but they were pricey and I had a good battery already. but i dont see why it woulndt fit... actually the "footprint" is smaller but i dont think its any taller. but yes you would have to protect the positive terminal from shorting out on the seat springs. and you might have to modify the hold down as the base is smaller than a regular battery

good battery though...

Reply to
dragenwagen

They fit, but they are taller. I would suggest at least getting terminal covers - You should really add a battery box just to be on the safe side; see my setup:

I had one optima die on me, but they have a good warranty - got a replacement for free (along with a new full-blown warranty).

These are dry-cell batteries, so you can shoot a hole in them and they will not leak (NO acid).

Keep in mind that because they are dry-cells, they are VERY heavy when compared to a lead-acid batt.

--Eric

BugMan