Do you have to "set" the electric choke?

1600cc S.P. motor with a 30/31 pict 1 carb....

....my engine wouldn't run after the winter and all spring..what it did was fire up, run 3 seconds then cut out every time! Then, once I accidentally fired it with the electric choke unplugged and it ran! It ran for about 2 months. Them the same ol problem came back, even without the choke plugged in!

...So, someone suggested its my idle cutoff (which coincidentally, did NOT click when it should leading me to believe it WAS bad) so I cut the plunger off the cutoff and put it back in...still not help.... It still fires, runs for 3 seconds then cuts out....

...could it be my choke still? Is there a way to make sure it is "set" correct maybe?

....any other ideas? Fuel pump in my daily driver (a rusted out 86 bronco) went out and I need the VW for a while... grrrrrr

Reply to
GusDaDog

I would first check the fuel level in the bowl. Remove the top but leave the float in place. The fuel should be roughly 3/4" below rim.

It could still be an idle circuit problem. The idle jet may be clogged (right side, high up), or the idle fuel passages could be blocked internally.

Even with no idle circuit, it should be possible to rev the engine by opening the throttle plate maybe half-way.

Timing correct? Possible massive manifold vac leak??

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim