Don't leave a rag or papertowel in engine comp.

Everyone knows not leave anything that might get sucked into the fan there. Right?

Reply to
Devo

Why, what did you leave in there?

Harry

Reply to
"Harry Smith"

Rrrriiight.

Yesterday, we put in a freshly rebuilt race engine into a 911. Got it fired up for the first time, then the boss (who was at the engine end of the car) said a bad word.

Turns out he had a droplight on top of the engine and the cord was hanging right infront of the fan... and the cord had one of those plastic warning labels attached to it. HAD. It got sucked in :D

Or so he said. And made me tear apart half of the cooling tin and ductwork, looking with telescopic mirrors under the shroud, hook up a shopvac to it, blowing air in from underneath... nothing.

An hour later he said a bad word again.

The damn plastic warning label thingy was just laying there, under the crank pulley, hidden from view unless you happened to look right at it.

ARGH.

Also we found a mousenest on top of cylinder #6 cooling fins, inside the shroud, on an engine that blew on a race track. It blew cylinder #2.. on the opposite side. This engine has a dual distributor, 2 plugs per cylinder. The slave distributor drive belt broke and it kept firing in the same cylinder over and over again, regardless of anything else :)

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I have found blankets, shop rags, wiring and various other items blocking the fans. Not pretty nor healthy to see an engine die prematurely. :-( Usually these items make noises that hopefully the owner can hear.

Don't you love bosses? lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

... I wish I had a cylinder #6 ... :sniff:

Max

Reply to
max_welton_2k

I guess that the tin will keep stuff from getting sucked up on the road at least. Just have to keep things out of the compartment. Good argument against an offset lid. KWW '65 Beetle - The Inside Out Cow '64 Beetle

Reply to
KWW