door adjustment

Any tricks to adjust doors 1974 bug ?

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

Sure.

What do you want to do? Everything happens by adjusting the hinges on the A-pillar side. They are each secured in place by 3 large phillips heas screws. Loosen screws just a little (They will be insanely tight, rusted!) then push or pull the door to the direction you want it to move. The hinges move in, out, up and down.

The doorlock counterpart on the B pillar is also adjustable in the same way, just smaller phillips head screws.

When testing door position after adjustment, be CAREFUL when closing it for the first time.. it your adjustment wend way off, you might get metal to metal contact and paint will chip.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Jan: I have some air leaking at the top of the door rubber seal when going down the road about 50mph. It is a little loud in my ear. The rubber is very good and plyable. I had tried to tighten the latch but it only made it harder to open. Should I try loosening and moving the hinges; or, will I open a can of worms??

Bob

Reply to
Bob Ullet

You'll be opening a can of worms :)

But it's the only way. You could try a new seal? Does the door frame appear to "sit right", flush with the B pillar?

Jan

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

if the adjacent panels line up with the door but the upper part does not the door may be bent.....the autobody guys like to put a woodblock in the doors and "rack" teh top in...just did this today on my ford van..works like a charm...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

I have looked closely at the door. It appears to align properly and the rupper is very plyable. Perhaps new rubber would make the difference. I don't think the little air noise is worth the potential damage I might do!

Thanks Bob

Reply to
Bob Ullet