Door hinge binding problem

My wife's '74 Super has a problem with the passenger door hinge. It binds and makes it hard to close the door. I've had the door completely off the car and attempted to drive out the pin with no luck. One of the hinges is just plain hard to move. I've managed to get some lubricants down into the hinge, but they never stay long enough to stop messing with it. The oil is leaving ugly marks in the area, which neither of us cares for. Solutions?

Reply to
carl mciver

New wife?

Okay that was mean. Is the door bent or the body? Maybe fit some shims under the hinge? I swapped out the door on my 70 after it was whacked by an idiot in a van but it was just a straight replacement with no tweaking needed.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

If you absolutely can't get the pin out (air chisel), use a torch to heat the hinge. That will expand it enough to get it freed up to where you can get lube in. I know; it's extreme and you have to use care not to ruin the paint...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I swear I'm not trying to start trouble, but that was pretty funny. :-)

Reply to
Shag

Personaly , I wouln't tourch it just becuase the door dosnt close properly ;-)

Rich

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
tricky

| >> My wife's '74 Super has a problem with the passenger door hinge. It | >>binds and makes it hard to close the door. I've had the door completely off | >>the car and attempted to drive out the pin with no luck. One of the hinges | >>is just plain hard to move. I've managed to get some lubricants down into | >>the hinge, but they never stay long enough to stop messing with it. The oil | >>is leaving ugly marks in the area, which neither of us cares for. | >> Solutions? | >

| >New wife? | | I swear I'm not trying to start trouble, but that was pretty funny. | :-)

Heh, heh, heh! I've got way more years into the wife than the car, therefore parting with the car would be a LOT cheaper. Only problem is that my wife likes orange, so finding another orange, rust free, '74 in the same condition is damn near impossible. Impossible or cheap. Hmmm....

Reply to
carl mciver

| > an idiot in a van but it was just a straight replacement with no tweaking | > needed. | >

| | If you absolutely can't get the pin out (air chisel), | use a torch to heat the hinge. That will expand it enough | to get it freed up to where you can get lube in. | I know; it's extreme and you have to use care not to | ruin the paint... | | Speedy Jim |

Last time I had the door off I didn't have any air tools or an air compressor, but now I do. However, driving into the pin inside a hole causes me more concern about swelling the pin at the drive point, further screwing me. My wife will not approve, by any means, heating the hinge (original paint) so the only thing that comes to mind is a press of some kind, but I've already chipped the paint using a kludged ball joint press tool arrangement. Does anyone have any thoughts on a press idea that might be able to do the job?

Reply to
carl mciver

Last time I had the door off I didn't have any air tools or an air

John Henry has an excellent door resto article with hinge details:

section

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

UMmmm. What was it we tried not to do again? This must have been the best invite on the group for years....

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Buy A New Door??????????? With hinges on it already and have it painted to match.

I have a whole bunch but not terribly interested in shipping them. They're a PITA to package well enough to make a journey anywahere in one piece.

Location?????

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®