Dune Buggy owners out there?

Anyone out there have a dune buggy? I'm getting a project buggy from my uncle that's been sitting for 30 years in storage, and I'm curious what types of roof enclosures people have used to give a little weather protection. Has anyone worked with hard tops? I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions when it gets closer to the time I'll be working on it (this summer), but that's it for now.

The buggy has a lot of work to be done still, but the major stuff was all done 30 years ago. It's a Dearborne Deserter Series One, and will have a 1600 dual port type 1 engine in it. My uncle did some design work for the company back in the late 60s and early 70s, and started this buggy with my gradfather, but they never finished it. My uncle is a world-class procratinator, but he's finally decided he's ready to finish it up with me and hand it off to the next generation. I've been waiting to get this thing since I was 11, so summer is sounding a long way off still.

My only regret is that it isn't the buggy my uncle designed the chassis for, which is the Deserter GS. But those things are so rare that every time I find one for sale as a shell, a chassis and a bunch of rusty parts in a pile, they're going for at least $7K! Oh well...

Mark

Reply to
Mark Woodhead

dunebuggyarchives.com