Dune Buggy Timing Question cont'd

I'm sorry to essentially ask the same question again but I've double- checked a few things and the mystery remains. The block in my buggy is from a 70 T2 and I'm using the correct distributor for this engine. When I adjusted the valves I made sure that the rotor was coming around to #1, and turned the pulley so that the notch lined up with the crack in the case. From here using the pencil-in-the-spark-plug-hole method I found actual top of the piston stroke to be about an inch to the right of the notch. I made a mark here and used it and a mark I made 180 degrees from it to do my valve adjusting. I just double checked this and my mark still lines up with the highest point in the stroke.

I adjusted the points and statically set the timing to the mark I had made, an inch or so right of the pulley notch. Acceleration was poor, it was popping at idle, etc. I set up the carb using info here:

were a little better but not much. After reading something somewhere I decided to set the timing by advancing it until I got my highest idle, then backing it off a bit. Suddenly the car ran better! I've tried this distributor and a 009 and with both the car runs best when timed roughly 2.5" to the right of my TDC mark (3.5" away from the pulley notch) Any ideas about why this would be? Am I liable to do damage to my engine running it this way? What should I do!?!?!

Reply to
Will Sheppard

One last thought: You used the notch in the pulley to set the valves. There were many, many pulleys all with different notches for timing. It sounds like this one is from a later engine and the notch is 5 deg AFTER TDC. I don't know how much diff that will make in the valve timing, but it may be worth adjusting again at the TDC you found w/pencil.

BTW, later pulleys have a "dimple" on the side facing you; THAT is TDC. (If this pulley has one.)

I'm outa ideas:-(

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks for the ideas Jim. When I adjusted the valves I did use my 'located' TDC mark. I looked for the dimple on the pulley and didn't find it but you are probably right that the notch is at 5 degrees ATDC. So my mystery remains. Whatever is happening there is no discernable pinging when I drive the car. I've heard that running these engines with the timing too far advanced will 'burn the engine up...' If I can ask one more question of you do you think I am at risk of this if I can't hear any pinging?

Thanks again, Will

Reply to
Will Sheppard

Tough call. You can't always hear it. Put a strobe on it that reads degrees advance.

you haven't already read it. Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks again Jim. I've got to move in a few days so I think I'll have to surrender this thing to a trained hand. At least now I know what to point out... I'll report back when (if?) I know what's going on.

Reply to
Will Sheppard