E85 and VW

I'm running E85 in my Ford and I love the stuff. Does anyone have any information on what the VW plant in Brazil did to run the beetles on alcohol and alcohol blends except for changing the rubber and gasket materals and the increased compression ratios? What type of fuel pumps? Thank you, Dennis

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Since e85 is mostly gas, then all you should have to do is jet up until it runs right. With straight alcohol you use 2.5x as much alcohol as gas with a mix, you need to jet up so the jets are large enough to compensate for the loss in BTUs.

Cars run on straight alcohol are hard to start and the starter jet system will draw gas from a small tank to fire up. Race cars run on alcohol, the team usually uses a hand held spay can with gas and spritz down the carb.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Tony, E85 is the new stuff here in Iowa. It is 85 percent alcohol and

15 percent gas. The blend sold at our gas stations for years is E10 or 10 percent alcohol and 90 percent gas which works good in my VW's at 90 octane. The E85 is 105 octane and only certain vehicles manufactured for multi blends can use it. My Sport Trac is one of them and it runs great on the stuff. Brazil ran VW's on blends and I was wondering if anyone had information on the modifications. I have an old sports car magazine from 1971 that describes a non export VW air cooled alcohol engine with 12 to 1 compression ratio and I was wondering how they did it. I know alcohol runs cooler so I thought it would be good for the VW. By the way, E85 is running 30 to 60 cents cheaper per gallon. A new station is offering it in Centerville, Ia and is advertising it on sale tomorrow as " E85 for .85 per gal and a free hot dog. I'm going over there. Dennis

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Even though we don't get E85 here, I did know what it was. The high compression engine you were referring to was most likely a 100% alcohol fueled. Alcohol seems almost immune to detonation and you can get back some of the Power you loose from less BTU's per gallon with higher compression. Jetting is all you should have to do to run E85.

I remember when Yamaha sold a small bike for the Brazilian market. It had a 1 quart gas tank that connected to the starter jet. I don't recall if it had higher compression but that would be expected.

These days all carb and fuel system parts are designed to work with alcohol and upping from the 7% that's in most regular to the 15% of E85 shouldn't be a big deal. If I were doing it, I'd have a second carb all jetted for E85 and swap back and forth as needed.

One other thing, if you don't have your cooling flaps and thermostat in, E85 may run too cool for your engine. However as I recall my old engine without them took forever to warm up and they're on the new engine.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Thank you Tony for the info but you still don't seem to understand that E85 is 85 percent alcohol, not 15 percent as you think. Google E85 Iowa and get the specs. Thanks, Dennis

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

E85 is mostly ethanol, and is only 15 percent gas.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

You're right, I had the numbers backwards. Look into what Detroit did. I'd guess the changes are mostly in the FI. Also a water cooled engine won't have the cooling problems an air cooled one will with alcohol. I'd say buck up and pay the higher non-subsidized price for gas.

T> Thank you Tony for the info but you still don't seem to understand that

href="

">Den's> 1977 Puma

Reply to
Anthony W

Mother Earth news did an article or 2 on running your car on alcohol years ago. Guessing the same info would apply to running E85.

You might be able to find the article on their website. If not, holler and I will see if I can find it.

Reply to
Randy

Thank you, I'll check it out

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Welcome. Try the following Go to

alcohol in the search box. Happy reading.

Reply to
Randy

Very informative especially using a supercharger instead of the higher compression. I never heard that before but in this application it makes good sense. Thanks

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik