ED prefix engine size - nobody knows for sure? 1800cc or 2.0?

thanks for trying to help earlier, guys, but somebody's gotta be wrong (not sure who). anyone have engine size spec on an ED prefix engine block number they -know- is correct?:

these sites tell an ED prefix vee-dub engine is an 1800cc:

============================================= and *these* sites say it's a 2.0 (2 liter):

(the VW FAQ's) the VW FAQ's at a different site:
and this BOOK says it's a 2.0: how to rebuild your volkswages aircooled engine/by tom wilson/HP books, page 33, lower left

so, if we "equally weigh" the votes, we have three web pages saying it's an 1800cc (two at same site, though), and we have the VW FAQ's saying it's a 2 litre, along with that (pretty well respected) BOOK. so we're 'fifty-fifty' on the votes, more or less. short of dismantling the engine and measuring the bore&stroke, is there any -other- way to find out who's info =is= correct? maybe some small obscure 'changed feature' on the case, externally, that indicates it's a 2.0 as opposed to a 1800cc?

...grasping at straws here...

thanks again,

"Mr E" engine guy

Reply to
bill yohler

ED is a 75 1800, NOT a 75 2000. That has to be a typo on the two "these" sites you list. The USA 76-79 2.0 is either GD with solid lifters or GE with hydraulic lifters. [the CJ listed in the tactical lists is Euro 2.0 with carbs] The 2.0 came along in 8/76 as a 77 year model engine.

Karl

ED was the FI engine used in '75 Buses. 1800cc, one-year only. (Distrib has 2 vac hoses)

GD began the 2000cc in '76, but still with non-hyd valves.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim