Electrical problem from hell

I posted a problem with my charging system last week. I was getting the red light with a new gennie and a new regulator. Turns out I had the regulator wired wrong, I was running B from the Reg to the starter instead of to the battery. I wired it correctly, red light went off for about two miles and then came back on again. I replaced the reg with another unit, but still had the problem. I then replaced the generator today after testing the old/new one. Again the red light went off for about two miles and then came on at low rpms then at all rpms! I bought a voltage meter and show 12 volts at B on the reg, and no voltage at D+ on the reg or at the generator when I disconnected it from the reg. What gives here? What could I be doing wrong to get these results? Its a 12 volt system btw. From B on the reg I have one wire going to the battery another to the fuse box. I have the idiot light hooked up proper and D+ on the generator was always hooked up until the light went out and I went to test it, so I don't think I burned out the field windings that way.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Do the tests listed on my web site once more on this new Gen. That will narrow it down to a Gen problem or not.

It could be something as simple as the brushes not making good contact on the commutator.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I did polarize the gennie before I hooked it up. And I ran the test described on your site and got no voltage reading. What could be causing two generators to work and then fail so rapidly? I must have some wiring problem in the system causing them to fail. Any ideas?

--Dan

Reply to
Braukuche