ELECTRICAL situation in '75 BUS --

I've got a developing situation with my '75 bus. One of the fuses on the little string of fuses that hangs out under the dash just behind the steering column -- a holder with about 20 fuses or so -- keeps burning out... as in, at this point every day or two and, it would seem, with increasing frequency. It's the one that keeps several things 'electrified' ... the turn-indicators, the gas-gauge, and other things. When it goes out the battery light comes on ... so I'm assuming that the battery suddenly is NOT being allowed to receive a charge as well. Obviously it's an important fuse. My question: IS THIS INDICATIVE OF SOMETHING ELSE ... LIKE A BAD ALTERNATOR OR GENERATOR OR ???? Any suggestions of how to proceed with this?

Thanks!

Terry ((btw -- this bus has a '78 2L FI engine in it ... thought there MIGHT be enough of a difference between this and the slightly smaller engine that it came with to have some relevence to the electrical problem.))

Reply to
Terry

I expect Speedy Jim will jump in here with the ultimate solution to your electrical woes.... According to the Bentley manual that is a 16 amp fuse (You have white ones and red ones - the white are 8 amp and the red are 16 amp) It is the second-to-last fuse - correct? Fuse #11. If it is a red one and it is blowing regularly, here's what might be shorting out: back-up lights; fuel gauge (at the instrument panel); turn signals.... the gen light is part of it as is the oil press light. If the fuse is a white one, simply try putting the correct fuse in - a 16 amp (red) one. Otherwise, look for a problem with the rear light assemblies first and the wiring to them. Speedy Jim will give you a link to his website and access to wiring diagrams. -BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

Speedy Jim's site

Reply to
Busahaulic

Get thee to:

and download: 1973-1975 en Y diagram. (that should be close for this problem)

There are 12 fuses on the block. Fuse #11 (S11) has to be the one giving problems.

It would not blow due to a failing Alternator. BUT....with the fuse blown, the Alternator may not begin charging.

Possible causes of fuse blowing: Bad vibrator (stabilizer) mounted on the fuel gauge. Short in turn signal switch or wiring to signal lamps. Problem inside 4-way Hazard switch.

If I had to bet, I'd put money on the Hazard switch; they have a history of falling apart (literally).

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

You are both absolutely right that this is fuse # 11, which is the next to the last on the right. There WAS a red 16 amper in there ... but I replaced it with a 25. Now that's severely deformed after only 2 or 3 miles and looking ready to give up. I'll check out that diagram ... but would the Hazard switch really be messing with the fuse if I never use the Hazard Lights? And what's the protocal for checking all these possibilities out for 'faultiness'? Thanks - T.

Reply to
Terry

Pull wires off that circuit, one at a time. You'll have a stiff neck when done; make Chiropractor appt ahead of time...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

The hazard switch is strange... sometimes my turn signals won't flash - just stay on steady. I pull the hazard switch on and push it off again being certain it is well seated and my turn signals work once again. My engine ran and would not shut off a couple years back. I removed the hazard switch and everything worked perfectly again. A few months later I hooked it back up and have had no problems since. Wasn't blowing fuses though... THAT you really need to find - don't take chances. -BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

Please go back to the 16 amp fuse quickly. It sounds like the circuit is overloaded even at 25 amps. Overrated fuses, (or in houses, using pennies instead of fuses) has caused many nasty electrical fires over the years. They are not pretty, especially when you're in them. You seem to have some sort of short in the circuit somewhere. Don't want to lose one that way. (Member or VW)

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

Thanks guys. I just HATE to put more money into this old dog of a bus .. but sounds like I'll have to have it checked out soon. You guys are right to push the safety aspect -- I apprecriate that. Terry

Reply to
Terry