Electronic distributor on 1600?

You probably don't see any where you are, but here in the USA, 79 Calif-80/83.5 Calif Vanagons all came with electronic ignition on the 2.0's. Bolt in swap on a 1600.....

Reply to
Karl

I have a friend with that electronic pickup (no points/condensor) inside of her 1967 Type 1 distributor. It works. Of course the advance systems are probably still original.

Reply to
One out of many daves

Can it be done? A local mechanic had universal electronic distributors for toyota, are there any that will fit a vw?

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

"Can it be done? A local mechanic had universal electronic distributors for toyota, are there any that will fit a vw? "

If all you are wanting to do is eliminate the points I would suggest going for the pertronix ignitor module. It's about a 15 minute job and then you can keep the factory distributor.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Works well on the Bosch 009 distributor. Better curve than a stock one.

Reply to
Ken S.

"Works well on the Bosch 009 distributor. Better curve than a stock one. "

Ken,

Having used both a DVDA and a 009 on an otherwise stock 1600, it has been my experience that the stock dual advance distributor provides better driveability than the 009. In fact, as I have over the years removed all of the 'custom' stuff previous owners have done to my car and put it back to the way it originally came out of the factory, my bug has become substantially less "bug" and a whole lot more "car". The VW engineers knew what they were doing when they put a vacuum advance on the distributor.

Chris

Reply to
Hal