emergency brake cable question

i just had work done on my 98 jetta done today and my mechanic told me that i would have to eventually replace my emergency brake cables soon because they are corroded. he said that eventually they will stick, which will mess up my whole braking system.....but i don't use my e-brake at all so i'm wondering if it's possible for the e-brake to stick w/out me even using it??? i wasn't sure if my mechanic was under the assumption that i used the e-brake or not.....any help would be great.

Reply to
Ben867-5309

yes it can stick without being used...but it will "stick" in the relaxed position....which is all well and good, but not safe....someone else can and probably will pull that sucker later on and it will pull in just enough to make your brakes drag...been there done that with a chevy truck....then i was faced with three options...fix it where it sat, call a tow truck, or drive it with the brakes dragging....being a MAN i chose number three.........i spent the following weekend replacing the rear wheel cylinders, axle seals, shoes/hardware, AND ebrake cables....the heat generated by the dragging brakes melted the axle seals and the seals in the wheel cylinders....cables are cheap and relatively easy to change....not sure on your specific car, and you may get a better response on the actual procedure to replace them yourself on the watercooled group....good luck..

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Frankly you should use it, but I doubt if you will start, until you find out why. BTW it is more properly identified as a "parking" brake.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Depends on when you use it. If I have an emergency situation and I need it, it then becomes an emergency brake :)

Reply to
Matt B.

I like them when you have an icy parking lot or frozen pond.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

About 20 years ago I had to use my parking brake in an emergency. Trust me, in an emergency when the brake line fails it is a poor substitute. I got a lot more help from putting the transmission in first. Lucky for me and my 1970 VW Bug, no one was coming through the intersection at that time. However I see you pont.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

******* Get it fixed, & remember to use it whenever parking on a hill (I assume you have an automatic). Also keep it in mind in case your brake system fails - it happens. Don't fall into the mindset of "it'll never happen to me". Be prepared to grab it; that's *why* it's called an "emergency brake" (as well as parking brake). ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Better than nothing though!

If misused you of course can lock the rear wheels. If you're trying to stop straight that's not so bad. If you've locked the rear wheels and you want to swerve, then you're in big trouble because you'll spin instead of swerving.

But it's still better than nothing.

Reply to
Matt B.

In my case, it would have had to be ice freshly cleaned by the zamboni to lock the rear wheels. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

if you need to buy a new one, go here:

These guys have insanely low prices!