Emergency brake light switch

I have one last wiring glitch to figure out on my buggy. There is a little on/off switch on the dash, that is tied in with the brake light switch on the master cylinder. I'm trying to figure out how to wire it back up again after replacing a lot of the wiring. It looks like the switch on the dash, and the brake light switch on the master cylinder, are tied in with a strange looking box mounted on the firewall. There is a rectangular box about 1" high pointing out of it, and it looks like that portion can be removed. Would this be some sort of relay, to turn the brake lights on with a switch? What is the emergency switch for on a 68-69 Beetle? Does the switch tie in with the brake lights, and overide them? Thanks.

Reply to
Steve Gift

The "switch" was used to test the bulb in the warning light! ("Push-To-Test") You can find the brake switch and warning circuits on my web site.

Note that the original master cyl which had 3 switches is NLA and the later one with (2) 3-prong brake switches is now used as a replacement.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Steve Gift

Ah! That's not stock, so I would be guessing what the PO rigged. Disregard all that I wrote earlier-does not apply:-( Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
Steve Gift