EMPI STOCK TAIL PIPE DRESS-UP - CHEESE GRATER Rusts Tail Pipes!

EMPI STOCK TAIL PIPE DRESS-UP - CHEESE GRATER Rusts Tail Pipes!

I was using one of these =91cheese grater=92 tail pipe dress up accessories. It rusted the ends of my stainless steel stock peashooter tail pipes.

I got most of the rust off except for a few specs with Naval Jelly and by rubbing lightly with steel wool.

Then I polished them with Brasso brass, copper, and chromium polish.

Then I applied some McGuires wax/polish.

The Naval Jelly slightly tarnished and discolored the pipes a little, but now they look almost as good as new.

Reply to
Jim347a

I was using one of these ?cheese grater? tail pipe dress up accessories. It rusted the ends of my stainless steel stock peashooter tail pipes.

I got most of the rust off except for a few specs with Naval Jelly and by rubbing lightly with steel wool.

Then I polished them with Brasso brass, copper, and chromium polish.

Then I applied some McGuires wax/polish.

The Naval Jelly slightly tarnished and discolored the pipes a little, but now they look almost as good as new.

---------

if you find yourself in that situation again, try "The Works tub&shower cleaner" or "CLR"... The Works is better. won't harm the SS and will disolve the rust stain nearly instantly.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

It's the end of the world!

So, was it rust from the cheese grater that stained the stainless-steel pipes?

Reply to
John J

Heh, heh, heh!

Yes, I think it was from a combination of engine heat, water, and the less than pefect Chinese chrome.

Reply to
Jim347a

Any friction contact with carbon steel will cause carbide precipitation and allow stainless to rust. The cheese grater contact most likely caused the rust. Polishing it after the steel wool may prevent it, but steel wool alone will ruin the stainless unless it is passivated after to remove the carbon/iron.

fixer33

Or if you are a cheapskate like me, try Coke and crumpled up tin foil. Regular, not diet coke. Buy a 2 or 3 liter bottle, the leftover coke can be disposed of with some dark rum.....

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

a bottle of "the works" is a dollar at most dollar stores... about a buck fifty at wally world...

well, you got point there... the left over cleaner can really only come in handy in the toilet or tub...LOL

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

That sounds like a wast of good dark rum...

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Back in my rum drinking days Myers was for sipping and anything less was mixed with coke.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

'Good' dark rum I would still use with coke. 'Excellent' or 'superior' rum would not get ruined by coke in my household, but it is somewhat unlikely to be found there either, with my current income :)

Reply to
Jan