Engine and Chassis number confusion

Hello all:) First off, let me say that I know nothing, absolutely nothing about cars. However, after years of not being able participate in any car related discussions I said 'Enough is enough!!'. I heard beetles have a relatively straight forward engine (plus they are very cool:) so I went out and bought two beetle bodies that were sitting there in some guys field as well as the chassis and engine that he had converted into a dune buggy. Before you pelt me with pickles let me assure you that it only cost me $120US for the lot so I can still afford to pay the mortgage:) Now for the crux of the matter. I want to rebuild the engine but for that I need to know what year it is so I can investigate how obtainable parts are for it. Every website I've looked at regarding engine numbers have told me that they are stamped under the generator on the crankcase and can be around

6 digits or more, however the number I found on the engine in this location is: X10554 I've checked these websites and this number makes no sense to me. Am I looking in the wrong place? Am I blind? Is this engine an experimental model that uses water instead of gas?:) The chassis numbers I got told me the beetles are both '63's so why doesn't the engine number even remotely match up to what it should be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Winchell

I got the number from the flat area above the crackshaft pulley and just below where the generator 'stand' connects to the crankcase (I think that's what it is called). The previous owner said the beetles belonged to his grandfather and didn't mention ever getting another motor. The only other writing that I can see that isn't just a single digit, like 5, stamped into some corner, is the writing just above what I think is the engine number. It says: Zundfolge - 1-4-3-2 That's written on the base of the generator stand, where it's bolted to the crankcase. Directly under that is where the strange number of X10554 is found. I'm so confused:(

Reply to
Neil Winchell

That sounds like the right place.

Does the engine have upright cooling, or pancake cooling? Perhaps someone in one of the beetles' past lives swapped the stock 1200 for a

1600. I dunno. I know some of the 'replacement' engines that VW sold had an X stamped in the serial number, but that's at the end of the number, not at the beginning.

Hmmm, curiouser and curiouser...

Neil W>>There should be a flat pad just above the crankshaft pulley that has the

Reply to
Gary

Thanks for taking the time to try and help me out with this problem Gary, I really appreciate it:) As for whether the cooling is upright or pancake I honestly have no idea. As I said before I no nothing about cars and this is my first attempt:) I'm not going to be working on the car until the wonderful Canadian winter sets in and I start suffering from cabin fever. For this reason the engine is in a barn at my fathers farm and I can't go out and see which:( Oh well, if any flashes of insight come your way please let me know because I am drawing a complete blank:)

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Winchell

It sounds like the number is for a rebuilt engine, or one built from a commercial case.

As far as the "Zundfolge - 1-4-3-2" is concerned, that's the engine firing order.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

I managed to get an image of the engine (in it's deplorable current condition) on the 'net so if anyone wants to take a look and help with the mystery of the X10554 engine number and if it does belong to a '63 bug then I would love you forever:) Check out

Thanks.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Winchell

From the link and photo you posted, That looks like a 36hp engine, and could quite possibly be from an even earlier model car than you have, But is possible up to around the year you have for bodies to use.....................If it's not totally trashed internally, it's a very good engine , and is not a bad thing to have/use.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 06:19:12 GMT, "Neil Winchell" scribbled this interesting note:

I can't say exactly what the engine is, but the carburetor is off a

40hp engine, which would be correct for a '63 Beetle. What tells me this is the automatic choke on the carburetor. Also, it is interesting that it appears to still have the original vacuum advance distributor. Looks like a pretty original 40hp engine to me. What will give it away completely is the orientation of the intake manifold where it attaches to the head. Is it parallel to the road surface or is it inclined?

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

My Bad,...................That would be a 40hp motor, not a 36.

I read Johns Post and realized That ( after re-reading mine, I had mis-stated my meaning.

Totally different beast , the 36 is.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Thanks to everyone who has offered their help in helping me learn more about his engine...I'm a slow learner but I do get there in the end:) I'll check the intake manifolds when I get out to the farm in the next week or so, but at least now I'm pretty sure that what I have is a 40hp motor. Thanks again guys, couldn't be doing this without you.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Winchell

Fan shroud looked like it was from a "stale air" 40 hp vs. a later, "fresh air" model too.

Reply to
KWW