Engine Bay Cleaning...

I took my 65 beetle on a run with the local VW club over the weekend which involved quite a stretch over back country gravel roads. Now my formerly nice and clean engine bay is covered in a good layer of road dust and grime where the dust cloud got sucked in through the vents. I'll have to clean out the air-cleaner as it must resemble mud after this trip but what's the best approach for washing down the engine bay? I was thinking I'd hit it with a hose or pressure washer and some Simple Green, maybe remove the rear piece of tin to help the water drain away. Do I need to cover up the dizzy? Carb? What about the generator, is there any issue with getting water in there or can I let loose with a good strong jet of water?

Basically, is there anything I should really avoid getting too wet?

Thanks.

- DM

Reply to
Dangermouse