Engine builders

A friend of mine is getting ready to put a new engine in his Beetle. He would like to know who is considered the best VW engine builder in the US. He wants a 1641 or 1679cc but built up like a race engine (8-dowelled, balanced and blueprinted, ported and polished heads, etc). Let me thank you in advance.

Reply to
Jeff Kleier

Tell him to go with 90.5 piston size. A noteworthy engine builder wouldn't want to build a budget 1641 or 1679 unless there wa s avery good reason. Or at least machine-in cylinders must be used (At which point it would cost the same to use 90.5mm again, resulting in very reliable 1776cc).

One good reason would be race class rules limiting cc's to these numbers.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

I bought a new motor from Quality German Auto Works in CA. Very good workmanship. Mine is a 1914cc with a single dual weber, and a Kennedy

1700lb clutch. Pick your carb system first and they build the motor around it. Excellent workmanship. Comes already tuned and adjusted. Just pull out the old one and put in the new one.

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

I'm not sure their the best but I have always used Demello Machine shop for all my machine and performance needs and have the highest regaurds for there work. They even sent me another head that was damaged in shipping before I could get it back to them. Thats survice.

Demello Machine shop

15902 Manufactor ln. Huntington Beach,Ca.926409 (714)898-7405

Mario Vintage Werks restorations

Reply to
Kafertoys

In my most humble opinion, your friend would do well by looking to

for a great Type-1 engine, or to Jake Raby for a great Type-4. Nuff said. (Although I think Jake will still make a Type-1 as long as it's hot,exotic,crazy-fast enough.)

How much is he willing to spend? Oh, and it ain't all about the engine. You can sink a fortune into making the chassis, suspension, brakes and tranny right.

Reply to
jjs

I still do type I engines but on a very limited scale and the smallest thing I offer now is a 2165 @ 150HP. i have sold alot of my engine combinations to some other builkders and since I'm in the belief that the strong point of the TI is strictly performance oriented thats what I have followed..

I cut my teeth on the TI and built most of my business and reputation from them, but the market is so cut throat these days that I got away from it. I now do 90% TIV work and the other 10% is 356 and 911.

Got tired of people asking price in the first line of their email!

Reply to
Jake Raby

So how much is a .........

Reply to