Engine goes bom, bom, bom

Hello ! Let´s se how to explain this with my limited english.

I have a Beetle 1500 Baja -68 and lately the engine sounds strange. it sounds like one cylinder makes more exhaust noice then the others. This happends when I accelerate. The exhaust pipes are not leaking and I think I have full power from the engine. If an exhaust valve was burned I should have a notisable weaker engine i guess. Can you think of anything that can make one cylinder make more exhaust noice then the others? I will do a compression test to make sure the valves are ok.

Thanks in advance

Lasse T Sweden

---------------

Reply to
Lasse T

It could be a problem inside the muffler - baffle plate maybe.

Could also be the cylinder head studs pulling out of the case; common problem on those engines. Loose studs will allow exhaust gas to escape between head and cylinder. May not show up on a compression test but you can hear it under the engine.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I'll put my vote in for a loose cylinder head. I struggled with a weird noise that sounded almost like a chirp when the engine was cold, would fade to a noticeable exhaust-leak sound as the engine warmed up, and it would dissappear completely once I reached normal operating temp. I dropped the engine to look around and found all the head nuts loose enough to be twisted without a wrench. I swapped heads, re-set the deck height, torqued and resealed everything on the top end. That was 2 years ago, still runs great and no leaks. If you wind up pulling the heads...word to the wise, get the white pushrod seals if you can. The red ones(I think they ship these in the engine gasket kit) are CRAP. They seem to leak just as soon as you install them.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

=09You may be losing a spark plug. Be careful removing the plugs. Check if you can move them by hand first.

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik