Engine in the Rear.

Saw this article about what is supposed to be a new peoples car from VW complete with the engine in the rear. Unfortunately it is not Aircooled, and the price is in the 10-14K range. If interested click on link.

Thetruth is that if some company did produce an inexpensive peoples car,most Americans would probably not buy it and contiune to buy theirSUV's Lets say a automaker produced a no frills 2 door sedan vehiclewith no power steering, brakes, no a/c, no radio and rubber floor matsinstead of carpet, no automatic transmission or any other frills.Even if this vehicle was priced under $8000 brand new and wasreliable, people in the U.S. would probably still not buy it. Just myopinion.

Reply to
Bill Berckman

VW makes other lower price models but VW of America won't import them. Anybody remember the Lupo?

T> Saw this article about what is supposed to be a new peoples car from

Reply to
Anthony W

there's a rapidly emerging and growing market for cheap, 3000 dollar (you read that right) range cars in China, and south america is thought to be next. Several big name auto makers are already at it.

My guess is that these will never be available in more developed countries where people can easily plonk out 30-50k for a new grocery getter.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

The Mercedes Fortwo is scheduled for delivery to the USA in January,

2008. It's going to be very different after that.
Reply to
pico

Bill Berckman schrieb:

Hi Bill,

the Logan get some success here in germany, the sell over 300.000 Modells of the "Billigauto" in the last 2 years for 7200 EUR / 9700 USD.

The new modell, Logan MCV (Multi Convivial Vehicle)

Manfred

Reply to
Manfred Braun

Huh? People can pluk out 30-50K for a grocery getter? Can someone tell me what they do for a living so I can go back to school to learn how to do that? hahahaha! I've "heard" that China is getting ready to start selling cars in the US and that they're gonna be cheap...

Reply to
Shag

| > there's a rapidly emerging and growing market for cheap, 3000 dollar | > (you read that right) range cars in China, and south america is thought | > to be next. Several big name auto makers are already at it. | >

| > My guess is that these will never be available in more developed | > countries where people can easily plonk out 30-50k for a new grocery getter. | >

| > Jan | | Huh? People can pluk out 30-50K for a grocery getter? Can someone | tell me what they do for a living so I can go back to school to learn | how to do that? hahahaha! I've "heard" that China is getting ready | to start selling cars in the US and that they're gonna be cheap...

Given the demonstrated willingness to supply tainted good (lead in toys, pet food, antifreeze in tooth paste etc) just how motivated do you think the Chinese will be to provide safe and reliable cars?

Reply to
NotMe

A quick google looking for crash test results out of Europe should answer that question. I've seen mention of crash test results for an SUV (0 star crash rating) and a sedan (1 star crash rating).

Hints:

Roger Ivie

I suspect we'll see in the near future.

Reply to
Shag

I like what John Muir III wrote once. Paraphrasing, "Anyone who wants to drive should be strapped to the front of an ACVW Bus for 200 miles in traffic for a reality check."

Reply to
John Boy