Engine number

Hi, I have bought a Trike with a 1600 engine. On the side of the crankcase it says Brazil, 2BR21, AS41. The engine number has a prefix of UG, which Doesn't look to be a standard engine number. I would like to identify what the engine is from to help when servicing etc. Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks, Tony.

Reply to
Tony Wilkinson

Aftermarket case. But it really doesn't matter. As for routine servicing, it's what is bolted to the

*outside* of the case that matters.

Timing, for example, controlled by distrib:

Should the need ever arise to open the case for repairs, you'll find standard 1600 bearings, etc.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

That's just the part number for the case. "AS41" describes the the material of the case (magnesium alloy). The original VW engine numbers were stamped in the area below where the generator tower was bolted onto.

Geoffe Elias '74 Super Beetle

Reply to
geoffers

this is a prefix for the newer bus engine if memory serves me right.

the new bay buses that are still made uses the type 1 upright engine.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

It's not an aftermarket case. The markings are the original casting information that comes on all new genuine cases. The engine 'UG' was fitted to the Brazilian Type 2 from January 1984. It was a 1600 and came with either dual or single carburettors (yes, same prefix, different induction).

Reply to
Peter

Excellent! Thank you. Jim

Reply to