engine problems - hesitation and no power

My 74 beetle suddenly has lost power on acceleration. All was fine until a couple days ago, then suddenly the problem started. at idle there doesnt seem to be any problem, however when the car moves forward and accelerates it lacks power and almost feels as if it is dragging. There is slight hesitation, and the car seems to shake a bit on acceleration. Also there is some exhaust smoke on heavy acceleration. The car will seem to rumble very slightly and the engine surge and miss very slightly at all speeds until I reach about 65, when it seems to settle down and smooth out. There is also a very occasional backfire when I decelerate/slow down.

I know the fuel filter is extremely dirty, I am changing that this afternoon as well as the plugs which I am hoping will correct the problem, but I dont believe that a sudden problem would be caused by dirty filter and fouled plugs, I wouls expect those to cause a more gradual problem.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Glenn

Choke stuck closed?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~

well, I replaced the fuel filter, didnt get to the spark plugs. I also "disconnected" the choke - I unplugged the wire from the coil, loosed the 3 choke screws, turned the choke all the way open (mounted on right side of carb, turned the choke as far clockwise as it would go), re-tightened the screws. The bug needed to warm up some before driving, as expected. The bug then seemed to run better, ran it around the neighborhood for about

15minutes, ranged from dead-stop to about 45mph and didnt experience the previous hesitation/jerkiness. However the engine still seems to be dragging, and still doesnt seem to have the power or "speed" that it previous did.

As additional information, I have a 09 distributor, no vacuum advance, and a Solex H30/31-pict single carb, single port, 1600cc I believe but not at all sure. The sound of the engine for the past couple of days seems to be a bit more of a rumble now than it previous was. But at least I seem to be on the right track.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Glenn

"Patrick Glenn" wrote

Have you checked your valve lash? If that's good, I'd do a compression test next.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H