Engine quits

Sometimes when I decelerate from 60 or so, like getting of a Hwy, the car dies I restart and there is no hesitation.This is a 74 sedan, any suggestions?

Reply to
Xrayjuan

If it mainly dies after the engine has been running hot (like at 60) for a while, the cause may be slight flooding of the carb. This is due to heated fuel in the carb bowl bubbling over or excess pressure from the pump forcing the needle valve open. Just a guess, of course, but it is common.

Check timing, maybe adj idle mixture, be sure there are no manifold leaks.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I have a fuel filter before and after the pump, could this be the cause ?

Reply to
Xrayjuan

I wouldn't think so. However, in-line filters after the pump aren't recommended because of the greater chance of failure and resulting engine fire.

If timing and mixture seem OK, you might simply jack up the idle speed as a temp fix. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

True, filters after the pump aren't recommended, but how does one avoid vapor lock with a filter BEFORE the pump? In the summer I had a fair amount of trouble with that until I got rid of the filter before the pump.

Reply to
KWW

Use a metal can filter and anchor it by clamping to the fan shroud or similar. That will prevent bouncing around that can pull a hose off or even pull the brass nipple out of the carb.

Also, if you put the inlet filter under the fuel tank, it won't get hot and can't contribute to vapor lock. Speedy Jim ('63 Beetle)

Speedy Jim

My local shop installed a glass filter, bounce-around fashion, between the pump and the T fitting that feeds the two carbs. Assuringly enough, the filter is leaning against the distributor.

Newbie question: how essential is it to have a filter inline?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Filters are great inline and most will at least recommend that you have some sort of filter inline. However ,most will also say to keep the filter out of the engine compartment................there's at least a half dozen ways to accomplish this by putting the filter near the tank, or under the vehicle before the fuel line enters the engine bay..................that should at least help some.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Mike: In case you don't know, you already have inline filters. The standard VW pump has a built in filter/screen. IIRC you have K-Dogs, each one of them also has a filter/screen. As an added note check your fuel lines leading to your tee and then to your carbs. Make sure they are not resting on any vibrating equipment as this will wear a hole in them over time. If your mechanic installed non-braided rubber hoses the speed that a "wear hole" can develop is quite astonishing.

Reply to
Steve

Hang on then . . . if things are are you suggest, there is a screen in the pump, and (should be) one in each Kadron carb. (Rhetorical question: Why the heck did VW Paradise stick on this apparently superfluous glass filter after the pump then? Sheesh.) Guess I can hack that thing out to reduce the moving/vibrating mass on the fuel hose.

The fuel lines have what appears to be a cloth braid wrap.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I also heard lots of folks freak out about the glass filters.... sure they won't burst spontaneously like the plastic ones can, but on the other hand, if they vibrate against something they can break..... They look cool, though.

Reply to
KWW

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote in

Mike: If and when you ask VW Paradise, please share. Inquiring minds want to know.

Reply to
Steve

I will!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I'm no expert (as i've mentioned before...) but the very idea of glass components scares me. Should they?

Anto.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

i'd say "no"....i am very fond of my front windshield...it doesn't scare me, in fact it gives me a peace of mind knowing its there...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Oh my windscreen scares me, Id rather not have one, its impossible to demist in the morning!

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

no its not, vw even provided a cool towel hanger on the passenger side dash

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

WOW...you must be a small fellow Anthony!!! i can reach over and roll the passenger window down with my seatbelt still on...the bug isn't very big anyway...