Engine Rebuild

Hello all - hope you are well !

Last week I went to an engine building demo. We stripped down and re-assembled an engine and had it running all in a day !

Yes including splitting the case !.

It was an eye opener for me - I had got the idea over the years of reading forums and groups like this, that splitting the case was a big deal !

the new crank and rods were all assembled ready to drop in, and the new case had been clearanced, but it was nice to see that there was nothing scary in there .

Anyhooo - It has inspired me to strip down one of mine - soooo getting to my question.

I have the tom wilson book and I have read on here that the section of cam timing is wrong. What exactly is wrong with that section ? we were shown how to set the timing in the demo, but looking at the wilson book, altho he times it differently, its not obvious (without a stripped engine in front of me) what he is doing wrong.

If anyone has the book, and knows which bit he does wrong, can you let me know please.

BTW The demo I went to should be on the discovery channel (UK) later in the year, I will post when I know the dates.

Reply to
tricky

That is cool -- I hope we get to see that program in the US as well.

Don't know about the Tom Wilson book. I used the bugme video in conjunction with my Bentley and a another rebuilding book to rebuild my 75's engine (it needed a new case as the bearing seats were beat). Checked the facts from one source to another and they all agreed. Are you talking about the timing between cam and crank shafts? I do remember lining up the marks and then slipping both shafts where they belong. Don't think you can line the gear marks up with the shafts in already. If you want, I can replay my DVD tonight to make sure.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Hi Remco

I have the bugme DVD too (full set - they are good!) - Thanks anyway

I am sure I know how to time it (cam to crank), and it will probably be obvious when I get the engine apart where tom wilson got it wrong. I just had a flick throught the book and he looked convincing ! Can see why people would follow it and get it wrong !

Rich

Reply to
tricky

I just followed the bugme method (after checking with the Bentley) and it worked like a chimp.

Reply to
Remco

How long did you have to monkey around with it before it worked like a chimp? :-)

Reply to
Randall Post

Not long - about five shakes of a monkey tail :)

Reply to
Remco

If I remember correctly, the alignment of the distributor pinion is incorrect in the Wilson book. I don't have the book, but I thought I saw it mentioned when I had distributor pinion problems

Reply to
Mel P.

How would one go about repositioning the distributor pinion without loosing the washer between it and the case. With my luck, I'd drop the bloody thing down in the crankcase and have to tear the bastard down to get it out.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

If I remember correctly, you slip them around a larger screwdriver, drop the screwdriver in the hole, position it and then drop the washers down, using the screw driver as a guide. You then don't want to move the engine case around until you position the dizzy in place, clearly. I think I got that procedure from the bugme video or one of the books I have. When I first saw it, It scared me as well but it worked fine. I can double check, if you'd like.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Thanx, but I'm going to wait to try it when I have the workshop space for a worst case scenario repair. I haven't checked and I don't know if it's very far out anyway.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Good idea -- you will need a fair amount of elbow room, just to neatly keep track of it all.

Reply to
Remco