Engine Rebuild and Case Splitting

I am thinking of putting a new cam and bearings in my 1600 vw engine. i am a noob at vw engines and was wondering if i could split a case change a few things like the cam and bearins, etc, and put it back together with little or no problems. i don't want to spend a lot of time rebuilding the engine if it is going to be a nightmare to put it back together and have bad leaks when it is done. I would like any comments, thanks in advance.

Reply to
bradclawson2003

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com escreveu:

First you have to check if you have any play on the crankshaft. If you have you need a line boring on the case. If everything is ok you can split the case clean it. If you put a new cam you need new bearing for it and compatible lifters. What do you mean with a lot of time? Six months? The time it takes depends on you knowledge abilities tools and money. I suspect that you have a lack of knowledge and you have a lot to learn before you attempt an engine rebuild with success. I don't what to depress you only trying to show you the light

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

Too many possible pitfalls, as João said.

To get some feel for the project scope, read:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Let me more properly answer this question for you..... DON'T DO IT! Have fun with your engine.. save to buy a rebuilt longblock, or turnkey. You specify yourself as a noob.. and in order for a noob to advance, one must learn. with experience.. trial and error, much money and much time. You can buy the Haynes.. Bentley. you can buy a Bug Me video too.. You could get it back together, and it would probably run.. but their is alot more to the engine than they could ever teach you.. Like what you will change.. Will you put a stock cam back in, or will you be tempted by the devil to put an Engle 120 or etc.. Will you actually check the bearing surface with a caliper, or will you simply feel them with a finger, and say they're ok.. When you bolt on the heads, will you check the cc.. the compression, and shim. Will you shim the rocker arms??? Do not attempt this, and expect good results if you are not willing to go all in.. All the time it takes.. nightmares included. It is a very simple engine.. but their is several other factors.. Like the proper setting of valves, and proper timing. Proper fuel / air on the carb.. Did the previous owner throw out your distributor and install an 009?? Changing what the books specify to you, to do??

What makes you think the cam is bad? When I first started, and embarked my first rebuild.. I tore the engine apart.. nothing stopping me. I was strapped with the Bug ME Video. I thought the camshaft was bad, because I couldn't set the valve gap proper.. Being more experienced now.. I realize all that was wrong was the valve. If I would have just left the engine alone, and bolted on the new heads. Instead I tore it completely apart, bought it everything new, including heads, and it never idled right. Blamed it on being an autostick and sold it. Oneday, after all this experience, and losses.. I hope to be able to build a VW engine though. So in the long run, I have no regrets. I chaulk it all up as a learning experience, and what not to do on my next bug. I started with a 71 autostick, now I have a European 60. I wont be touching the motor on it!!!

I have fiddled with the timing.. and will get it a nice header and phatboy muffler. Other than external bolt on things.. The non enhancing physcologial things.. I will be saving up for a 1914cc longblock or turnkey. Several would steer you away from this engine.. and reccomend a 1776cc.. etc.. Like I say.. it's all a long learning experience inwich costs alot. Don't expect to skip the nightmares, unless you simply be happy and have fun with what you allready have.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
payments338

Reply to