Engine rebuild question

My daily driver '75 1303 started making a horrible knocking sound on my way to work this morning, and to me it sounds like worn crank bearings. I stopped and had the car towed home.

The original AR-code 1300 engine was rebuilt in 1995 as a 1641, although I don't know what the rebuild entailed. Possibly it was just a top end rebuild. Total miles on the car since new is just under

100K, and since 1995 the car has covered just 5,000 miles.

Anyway, my question is... what would a rebuild to fix this problem entail? I know the barrels, pistons and heads were new in 1995/5K miles ago. Would it really be a question of splitting the case and replacing the crank and bearings? And checking the rods, cam, pistons, cylinders etc for wear too?

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of spare cash to spend on this car, so a second-hand engine is probably a better option. But I don't want to dismiss the original engine just at the moment, and I think a rebuild would be a great way to learn :-)

Thanks in advance!

-- Howard Rose

1966 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe 1975 Volkswagen 1303S 1962 Austin Mini Seven
Reply to
Howard Rose

Hi Howard,

Wouldn't worn crank bearings cause oil presure first? Just a thought. I would determine the exact problem.

Ant> My daily driver '75 1303 started making a horrible knocking sound on

Reply to
anton

The oil light didn't come on until the knocking started. That is when I pulled over. There was a loss of power just beforehand.

What else could the problem be?

-- Howard Rose

1966 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe 1975 Volkswagen 1303S 1962 Austin Mini Seven
Reply to
Howard Rose

most likely a rod bearing. Crank bearing does not cause symptoms like that.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

In case it is a rod bearing gone bad, DO NOT START the engine again! After the initial tell-tale loud knocking sound, you have very little time left until the rod comes flying off, and then you are looking at a ruined case, head(s), rods, crank, at least a few pistons and cylinders.......

Jan

Reply to
Jan

makes sense. I was thinking of main bearings...

Ant> Jan wrote:

Reply to
anton

Thanks, Jan, the car was towed home and I don't plan to start it again.

I guess I am looking at a new/reground crank, rods and bearings at least. Hopefully the rest of the engine will be fine, especially as the P&C's have very little mileage on them.

I've just ordered Tom Wilson's book, can't wait to get stuck in to this new project!!!

-- Howard Rose

1966 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe 1975 Volkswagen 1303S 1962 Austin Mini Seven
Reply to
Howard Rose

That is reassuring, an engine rebuild is completely new territory for me, but from what I heard VW engines are some of the easiest for a beginner to rebuild. I'd especially like to save this case, since it is the original to the car.

I did, but not much of a reply there.

I'm stopping at the local VW breakers tomorrow to see what they have available. Fingers crossed!

-- Howard Rose

1966 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe 1975 Volkswagen 1303S 1962 Austin Mini Seven
Reply to
Howard Rose

If you were closer (I'm in Coventry) I could lend you a running engine for a while.

Google the Tom Wilson book and this group - aparently there is an error in the text when it comes to rebuilding - something to do with the timing marks on the crank and cam 180% out ?

I have the book, but cant remember exactly what was posted here before.

Rich Rich

Reply to
tricky

Anyone can put one of these engines together, and make it run. To properly rebuild it and end up with a long lasting, cool running, reliable engine, is a whole different story. The differences may not be evident during the first 10 thousand miles... :) Build time is easily 5 times longer for the latter rebuild too... and it's a tiny bit more expensive.

You have Ramva to help you get through it too.

Plus you can email me with any questions you have.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Howard, I've seen a couple of runners on Flea-Bay running out in next day or two, which should sort you out until you get yours fixed..

James

Reply to
Juper Wort