Engine running hot? - Need advice

The engine in my '73 Super seems to be running hot. When I pull into the garage I can smell the engine. Also, I can hold the dipstick for 2 or 3 seconds before it starts to burn. I drive it to work a few days a week which requires 20 miles of highway (I do 65mph tops)and always figured it was the highway speeds causing the smell. But last night I took a little drive of 7 miles or so and never broke 45mph with similar results. One question is how hot is too hot?

I know for a fact my engine is running lean. I have the engine run on exhaust backfire. However, the PICT 30 carb adjusting screws seem to be clogged. When I adjusted the screw for the backfire, there was no change in the engine. It's been a long time since I've dealt with carbs. Can I remove the screws from the carb while it is in the car (being careful not to drop one) and shoot carb cleaner in?

All the cooling tin is in place and I recently cleaned the underside of the engine. Timing was set by the POs mechanic shortly before I bought it (700 miles) and I adjusted the valves 500 miles ago. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. It's been a hot summer and I don't to leave the Bug at home due to the temperature. Thanks.

Houdsie

Reply to
Houdsie

This is probably way out there in left field, but is the thermostat ok? It controls flaps in the schroud on mine. From what I've heard and read, some people have taken them out and opened the flaps to aid cooling - not sure if that's a good idea or not. Remco

Reply to
Remco

"To measure is to know..." Anon

Measure the oil temps. Either get a dash gauge or find a meat/candy thermometer that will fit in the dipstick hole.

Road speed is the biggest determinant of engine temp. At 65 MPH on a hot summer day, oil temp can go to 95 to 105C as a rough estimate.

Find out what temps you are actually running before doing anything.

I would not remove the carb screws.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Probably the backfire comes from a hole on the heat exchanger near the position on it connects to the muffler. Look there and you will find it. The mixture is made by the jets not by the screws. The screws are to set the idle mixture only. The temperature on my engine is similar to yours and I also don't know if it is to hot.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

That's an awesome idea, I think I'll get a thermometer as you describe. I don't believe I am overheating but that is a fairly easy way to know.

Reply to
Ben Boyle

This one works very well:

Ted

Reply to
Ted

This one works very well:

Ted

Reply to
Ted

Thanks for all the replies. I've got a list of homework for the weekend.

Joao, I'll check the heat exchange. I never thought of that.

Houdsie

Reply to
Houdsie

HoHo! Excellent product! Bookmarked.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Today I made a run with my Bus and it ran cooler than normal. Outside temp 96; oil temp after 30 miles 205 degrees. Forgot to close the engine door after checking oil level before I left. I had no idea leaving the door open would lower the temp 10 degrees or more in this heat.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Update! Just went outside and I have a flat rear tire. The back two are real old and cracked so I guess the heat can kill old tires also.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Actually, leaving the engine compartment open is what makes your tires go flat! Geez, didn't you know that??? ;)

Reply to
Michael Cecil

nope

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Fixed the tire....It was a nail

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

This one works well also;

The probe comes with a 90 degree bend in it which I was able to straighten out without snapping it. $13 at WalMart. It has a three foot long cable and has an alarm that sounds when it reachs a particular temperature which you can set. It's not very loud. The meter has a couple of magnets on the back of it which aren't particulally strong.

--

'64 sunroof Beetle '55 semaphore Beetle

Reply to
Mike64Bug

WhoooHoooo!! That's the neatest one I've seen yet.

AND an alarm!

Reply to
Speedy Jim

That's what I've been using for years :)

(Oven thermometer/alarm)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Hi All-

I wanted to follow up with an update but also a couple of questions. After my orginal posting, I did the Speedy Jim tip and after 25 minutes on the highway at 65mph on a 90 degree day the temp was 217 F. Seemed high, but in line with the specs. Today I changed the oil and adjusted the valves. All the valves were tight. I did the valves back in October for my first time ever. I assume I made some rookie mistakes. I took the Bug for a ride and she sounded louder. But she had much more pep and the run on backfire seemed to have cleared up. Does it make sense to you pros that my engine would sound louder but still be OK? I don't want to take her for a long drive and damage the engine. Thanks.

Houdsie

Reply to
Houdsie